S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

CT-E Icebox intake

Old 04-24-2011, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CT-E Icebox intake

Hey guys, I have been searching my a$$ off about info on the icebox intake but have more confusion than when i started. Let me start off by saying i dont want it for power really... but for only 2 main reasons. 1. I think it looks like pure sex under the hood other than the ARC intake or a supercharger. 2. I want a tiny bit more noise than the stock airbox.

I have a few questions for owners, or people who have owned.
1. How difficult is fitment?
2. Did you feel any difference over stock?
3. Over all is it in your opinion worth it over f***in with the stock air box?
4. Has any one owned the second version with out the hole cut in it for the prop rod?
5. Is CT Engineering still in business?

If anyone would help clarify any of my questions, that would be great!!
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skkppy
Hey guys, I have been searching my a$$ off about info on the icebox intake but have more confusion than when i started. Let me start off by saying i dont want it for power really... but for only 2 main reasons. 1. I think it looks like pure sex under the hood other than the ARC intake or a supercharger. 2. I want a tiny bit more noise than the stock airbox.

4. Has any one owned the second version with out the hole cut in it for the prop rod?

Thanks!
This is honestly a great intake
1. For me, i was a lile hard to install because i bought an older model, but once we got it on it fits fine. Mine doesnt rattle at all and doesnt rub the hood eiher3.
2. It definitely has more power a low RPMS
3. Yes, it looks better than OEM and is proven to show decent gains. You can mess with OEM box all you want and it still might not do anything.
4. Mine has an indention for the prop rod but i know which version your talking about and mine is different
5. I think hey are still in business. i bough intake cleaner from them like 2 months ago
Old 04-24-2011, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skkppy

Thanks!
1. Fitment is not difficult if you know what you're doing. You have to push down on the box a bit to torque down the bolt enough to make sure your hood does not rub on the fancy carbon fiber. I unclipped one of the zip ties holding down the foam AC hoses to make fitting the icebox easier.
2. No, but my butt dyno did tell me I gained like 200 horsepower. (jk).. There was no difference to me; this is without a tune, though. I did not even feel the "better throttle response" that a lot of people claim you get with short ram intakes.
3. It's worth it if you want the bling in your engine bay and if you want a different sound. I honestly think the AEM intakes sound better, though. I don't like messing with my stock intake so I decided to try the CT engineering icebox.
4. Yes, I owned the second version. The fitment seems much better than the first version where people had complaints. I hardly had any trouble installing this intake.
5. Yes. CT Engineering is still in business. You can go to their website and see. They used to be Comptech. I don't know the business details.

Here's a video of my car with the intake. You can hear how it sounds different than other intakes. It has a more "metallic" high pitched sound around 4000 RPM, but I think that's a resonating effect with the icebox.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwgZpwO468[/media]
Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM

wow guys, thanks for taking the time to respond thoroughly! still if there is anyone else who wants to chime in, im all ears! Its likely that this will be my first mod to my ap2 8)
Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Former Sponsor

1. The box is plastic, so it is slightly flexible. You might need to drill out some of the holes slightly bigger for perfect fitment...luckily my box was used and the previous owner did most of the little adjustments needed. I however still had to drill out one of the holes a little more just to get it to fit right.
2. For sure there is gains over stock
3. This is my third intake, and I'd say that its the best looking and sounding for the money. I had AEM and J's intake prior. I would have kept the J's...but I needed something CARB legal and this was the only option that I'd consider in the category. Overall I think its pretty much on par with the AEM intake, however doesn't seem to pull as hard at speeds as did the J's with its snorkel.
4. My edition has an indent and not a cut out
5. They are still in business under CT Engineering

Overall I'd recommend this intake, its CARB legal, and adds a bit of "flair" to your engine bay with the carbon fiber lid. I also like it because it fills up the empty space that is present when you remove the stock intake, and other intakes just don't fill that space up quite as nicely.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K
1. The box is plastic, so it is slightly flexible. You might need to drill out some of the holes slightly bigger for perfect fitment...luckily my box was used and the previous owner did most of the little adjustments needed. I however still had to drill out one of the holes a little more just to get it to fit right.
3. This is my third intake, and I'd say that its the best looking and sounding for the money. I had AEM and J's intake prior. I would have kept the J's...but I needed something CARB legal and this was the only option that I'd consider in the category. Overall I think its pretty much on par with the AEM intake, however doesn't seem to pull as hard at speeds as did the J's with its snorkel.

Overall I'd recommend this intake, its CARB legal, and adds a bit of "flair" to your engine bay with the carbon fiber lid. I also like it because it fills up the empty space that is present when you remove the stock intake, and other intakes just don't fill that space up quite as nicely.
I apologize for thread jacking, but I'm considering this intake too. Why was this the only intake you'd consider? Why not the K&N FIPK?

That's another similar intake but is much cheaper and doesn't have the rubbing problems.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 PM

for me its because imo the k&n is as ugly as sin under the hood
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed the K&N is pretty ugly, and i liked how the CT has a close lid, not open.
One thing to consider, the K&N is extremely popular while the CT isnt as much. I like uniqueness
Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Synderesis
Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K' timestamp='1303710115' post='20503569

I apologize for thread jacking, but I'm considering this intake too. Why was this the only intake you'd consider? Why not the K&N FIPK?

That's another similar intake but is much cheaper and doesn't have the rubbing problems.
Like people have previously stated, the K&N intakes is not a looker...and for some aesthetics is just as important as performance. I think the CT intakes is the perfect balance. The "rubbing" issue isn't really an issue with the proper adjustments.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 PM

I have the K&N FIPK paired with the AUT cooling panel. (It replaced my Comptech intake). The quality is good, but it sounds like a very generic intake to me. My friends and I used to enjoy removing the snorkel in our Corollas and Civics back when we were in high school to give our little cars more of an "Oomph" sound. The FIPK sounds very similar to that. It does not really have the growl that the AEM and PRM intakes have. It also felt a bit weird walking into an Autozone and seeing K&N FIPK's on the shelf.

Also, there has been claims that the FIPK has heatsoak issues from users here on S2ki, especially on hot summer days. Take from that what you will.

Quick Reply: CT-E Icebox intake