S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

CT-E Icebox intake

Old 04-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
I have the K&N FIPK paired with the AUT cooling panel. (It replaced my Comptech intake). The quality is good, but it sounds like a very generic intake to me. My friends and I used to enjoy removing the snorkel in our Corollas and Civics back when we were in high school to give our little cars more of an "Oomph" sound. The FIPK sounds very similar to that. It does not really have the growl that the AEM and PRM intakes have. It also felt a bit weird walking into an Autozone and seeing K&N FIPK's on the shelf.

Also, there has been claims that the FIPK has heatsoak issues from users here on S2ki, especially on hot summer days. Take from that what you will.
how much louder is the fipk over the ct-e?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FIPK is a bit quieter, in my opinion. It's similar to the CT Engineering intake up until you get to the 4000 RPM or so range and the CT Engineering intake gets that high pitched resonating sound. I don't have any dyno videos of the FIPK, but you can find a few videos on Youtube.

My theory is that if the tube for the K&N was made of metal, it would sound better and more like an intake instead of a snorkel mod. Drive without the stock intake lid on for a little bit and see how you like it. The FIPK sounds similar to that.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Ah okay thanks for the answers. I also think that the aesthetics are important as shallow as that may be, but if the performance is similar I'd definitely go for the better looking one. However, I wouldn't give up quality for aesthetics, and I was under the impression the CT-engineering intake had some problems with the rubbing which were fairly pronounced. If it's not a big deal and can be fixed with some adjustments, I definitely rather have it.

How bad is the rubbing? Seriously considering getting it despite the extra cost.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM

wow really? i was expecting the icebox to be much quieter since it is covered... cool a bit louder than stock with cover off is what i was looking for
Old 04-26-2011, 02:27 PM

If the intake is rubbing against the hood, then you probably made an error somewhere in the installation. I can only speak for the CT Engineering one (version 2) not the original Comptech one. If you push down on the box and install it correctly there are no problems at all.

However, I suggest you watch the video I linked to make sure the sound is exactly what you're looking for. It wasn't what I was looking for so I changed my intake to the FIPK. The VTEC crossover is not as pronounced as I would have liked it to be.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

You can even adjust the hood latch the raise it slightly, or the rubber bump stops. You can also push down on the ABS box as you tighten it all down to assure everything is sitting as low as possible.

I have no rubbing issues what so ever.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM

I'm thinking about replacing my FIPK with the comptech, or stock with a snorkel and K&N filter... I just don't really like how the K&N looks and its pretty agressive but I want to be able to hear my T1R better
Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM

I purchased a CT Engineering intake. I believe it's the "v2". The orginal Comptech design had a cut out for the hood prop rod the CT version has a better looking (IMHO) recessed design. Install was pretty simple. No problems with rubbing except for the hood prop which I ended up dremeling off some of the plastic and metal for a better fit.

I later purchased a comptech supercharger which was missing the air box so I was able to buy a few other parts from CT to make it work. In the both cases where I called they were very helpful in helping me figure out which parts to buy and shipping was prompt. Recommended!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 PM

^interested to hear!
Old 01-20-2018, 11:52 AM

I recently received the CT-engineering intake. The intake tube sections have a very rough finish throughout. Almost like sand particles embedded.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I was actually able to use my fingernail to scrape a couple piecesoff.

My concern is that the particles may dislodge from the inside of the pipe and get sucked into the engine..

Quick Reply: CT-E Icebox intake