S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

CT-E Icebox intake

Old 04-13-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by osu1978
I forgot to mention in my previous post that my AP2 was reading a high IAT because the sensor was too far into the bung on the intake arm to get airflow. I cut about 3/4'' off and temperatures then went back to a more normal reading, better than stock actually.
Wow this is interesting. Thanks for mentioning this.

I'll need to check mine and it's position. I compared the bung to images of other pipes and it seems as though this one is different, I think it's revised. But I'll have to measure and make sure it's the same as stock.

And I thought I was done with the installation!!
Old 04-13-2018, 08:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the position of the sensor in the stock arm to the CT arm. I tried to match the stock position in the new CT arm.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by osu1978
Check the position of the sensor in the stock arm to the CT arm. I tried to match the stock position in the new CT arm.
Makes sense, that's what I'll try to do. After this, if I were to sell the intake, I'll have to charge a premium for all the time spent on modifying for perfect fitment!
Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Would the improper IAT temperatures cause any issues? I never checked mine and the car has been tuned on this intake.

Originally Posted by Mrhwin
I was contemplating ditching the rear mount as well, but I moved the wire loom and added washers and drilled a larger hole to get everything to fit perfectly. It took several hours of test fitting, bolting in and removing.. I've installed many different intakes on several vehicles, this is def the most time and effort I've ever had to spend! Anyway thanks for sharing, hope your new intake and setup are working well for you.
I added washers to my rear mount as well. Never bothered installing my horn again
Old 04-14-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=JamesD89;24446150]Would the improper IAT temperatures cause any issues? I never checked mine and the car has been tuned on this intake.

Someone else would have to weigh in on this as I am far from an expert but if the sensor is not reading an accurate temperature then the ECM is making adjustments that don't need to be made. Keep in mind this issue only apples to cars 2006+. I think the air temp sensor for the 2000-2005 cars is in the manifold.

I was getting temps 20-30 degrees higher on average compared with the stock intake. What was more concerning was that once heat soaked the temps would not reduce much at all even with a half hour of driving on the freeway. Basically the sensor was so far down the bung that very little air was hitting it so it just stayed hot all the time. I have hours of flashpro data with the stock intake along with ambient air temp records to back this up. Once I matched the OEM sensor position in the CT bung my temps on average dropped below stock and if there is any heat soak from stopped traffic it clears very quickly.

I had to cut about 3/4'' - 7/8" off the bung for it to match the position of the OEM intake arm so no wonder it was getting very little airflow.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=osu1978;24446409]
Originally Posted by JamesD89
Would the improper IAT temperatures cause any issues? I never checked mine and the car has been tuned on this intake.

Someone else would have to weigh in on this as I am far from an expert but if the sensor is not reading an accurate temperature then the ECM is making adjustments that don't need to be made. Keep in mind this issue only apples to cars 2006+. I think the air temp sensor for the 2000-2005 cars is in the manifold.

I was getting temps 20-30 degrees higher on average compared with the stock intake. What was more concerning was that once heat soaked the temps would not reduce much at all even with a half hour of driving on the freeway. Basically the sensor was so far down the bung that very little air was hitting it so it just stayed hot all the time. I have hours of flashpro data with the stock intake along with ambient air temp records to back this up. Once I matched the OEM sensor position in the CT bung my temps on average dropped below stock and if there is any heat soak from stopped traffic it clears very quickly.

I had to cut about 3/4'' - 7/8" off the bung for it to match the position of the OEM intake arm so no wonder it was getting very little airflow.
This makes total scientific, logical and mechanical sense. The question is if the stock ECU will adjust for the higher IAT. Regardless, there's no reason that the sensor should NOT be in the same position as the OEM intake tube.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:43 AM

I cut off about an inch. The OEM position places the tip of the sensor in the tube.

Based on my thoughts, the bung was definitely way too long and sensor would not read IAT properly.

I taped off the bung from inside and used a hack saw to cut, then sanded with paper starting with 80 until 600 grit. Cleaned off all excess and reinstalled.

I was also able to push the tubes together to align intake tube to throttle body in a better location. I am looking into purchasing a new straight coupler.

Other thing I noted is how loose the clamps got, and I'm certain I tightened them quite well with a 8mm socket.

Last edited by Mrhwin; 04-16-2018 at 03:52 AM.