S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Custom ETD Bracket

Old 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom ETD Bracket

Hello everyone!
So i have been looking into ETD's lately and how they mount. From what i have researched most of the ETDs have the same internals. The main difference is how they mount. Here are the ones i have found...

Your basic J's NRG and Spoon... They require that you remove one of the fuse box tabs if you have a LHD S2K. I believe there are also issues with the AC lines rubbing a bit by the looks of the picture below. Someone can correct me if need be.

Yes Yes i know there is a bracket you can buy that will allow you to keep your fuse box tab already its called the Puddymod mount and it seems to work very well for everyone. It uses the same ETD's as spoon j's and NRG but is mounted underneath the fuse box tabs see the picture below... https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/469...-mount-review/

Here is a link to an ebay one not very popular i don't think although it doesn't require any modification to the fuse box tab
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...#ht_1244wt_940

ANother ebay ETD with a bracket just like spoon NRG and j's only it has a tab welded on it for the fuse box, still requires fuse box tab removal..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...#ht_2160wt_940

A very popular ETD Ingalls Stiffy.. Mounts in a different location and requires no modification...
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...f=186&t=840574

So with all these choices why am I going to make my own mount?

1. I like being creative and designing things
2. I do not want to remove the fuse box tab
3. I want the main mount on the strut tower
4. I want the ETD to mount on the side of the engine like the NRG Spoon or J's
5. And i rather make a mount for free than to by the puddymod lol yes im cheap.

My idea of this is pretty simple. I have an NRG ETD on the way to my house hopefully be here early next week if not sooner. The main bracket that comes with it i will modify cutting a notch out where the fuse box tab would be when mounted. I will then bolt it on making sure the AC lines are not an issue, if so i will make the hole "lower". Once i have the mount where i want it i will base my design off of it adding more material so it is hopefully just as strong as the original.

Here is a rough sketch in case I am the only one who can understand that lol...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Good idea! Would you be selling them or just a one-off?

Glad that first pic is not your car!!

Scott-
Old 09-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

In for pictures..
Old 09-15-2011, 02:31 PM

Yes this will most likely be a one off if i make a few extra i will "give" them away.

Well i just got an email about my NRG ETD the ebay seller cancelled the transaction because the supplier has zero in stock I really wanted the NRG but maybe ill buy an ebay one sense they are all so similar.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM

i dont track.. but i do alot of spirited driving, would this mod help?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Former Sponsor

I think one of the main issues would be the angle the ETD would be mounted at, if your thinking of mounting it to the shock tower with a bracket and mount it into the side of the engine bay. You will also need to see if the ETD is long enough to even do this...it might not without compromising its ability to dampen. And ETD does allow for some adjustablilty, but generally the shorter the ETD is, the more aggressive the dampening. Then possible have to make some modifications to the stock heat shield as well.

Ideally you want the ETD to be straight from shock tower to motor, this will give the best dampening ability since the motor rocks side to side, if you angle the ETD you might not get the dampening from the original mounting points.

But i might be mis understanding where you plan to mount it
Old 09-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K
I think one of the main issues would be the angle the ETD would be mounted at, if your thinking of mounting it to the shock tower with a bracket and mount it into the side of the engine bay. You will also need to see if the ETD is long enough to even do this...it might not without compromising its ability to dampen. And ETD does allow for some adjustablilty, but generally the shorter the ETD is, the more aggressive the dampening. Then possible have to make some modifications to the stock heat shield as well.

Ideally you want the ETD to be straight from shock tower to motor, this will give the best dampening ability since the motor rocks side to side, if you angle the ETD you might not get the dampening from the original mounting points.

But i might be mis understanding where you plan to mount it

Its going to mount just like the NRG / Spoon / J's ETD which seems to be pretty straight. Im basically just modifying the bracket to clear the fuse box tab instead of having to remove the tab itself. I wont be changing the ETD hole mount locations what so ever... understand?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Duyx817
i dont track.. but i do alot of spirited driving, would this mod help?
Try searching around a bit. Some people say yay and others say nay..
Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Are you going to see if you can avoid cutting the heat shield?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM

To mount an etd like j's spoon or nrg you have to cut the great shield. I took mine off completely.

Quick Reply: Custom ETD Bracket