S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

DIY: Door Window Moulding

Old 05-26-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wolf95, bro thank you soooo much for posting this. My seals suck so much and I was looking for DIY. Thank you sir!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any trouble getting in the first clip near at the very edge of the moldings right next to the side mirrors?

Something about the shape of the black triangle, made it very very difficult for me to get it snapped into place.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No prob!! I was surprised to not see one already done.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Umm, not really. Starting at that point made the whole thing pretty easy. Maybe your whole door is tighter than mine?? Idk.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice DIY !
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

@Wolf95, in your opinion (since you are now the expert at this) if one of these clips is popped off does that mean it won't go back in because it's a one time deal?

I noticed on my drivers side the one closest to the mirror is popped off and I am unable to press it back in. I suspect that during the last car wash a rag got caught and they yanked it up to get it out and it popped up. I can see the white plastic is connected to the molding and there is no white plastic in the hole.

I'm suspecting I have to buy a whole new piece to get this in there.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Thanks ripper

Not sure about being an expert.. lol but I would almost guarantee it's a one time deal. I can look at all my clips when I get home and see if there were any that were salvaged. In that case you could just pick up some new clips and replace them.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 AM

Another added bonus... My doors sound more solid when they close without the window rattling around. Instead of a thunkdiddlediddle it's just thunk.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Wolf (or others), I installed the new moulding a few days ago and washed the car yesterday and noticed a couple things, I'd like to compare notes.

First is I noticed the lip that is in contact with the window is taller then on the passenger side, I measured it and it is in fact thicker, is yours the same? I only noticed when sitting inside that there's so much more material that you can see from the inside. I bring this up because:

the portion that is in contact with the window, not sure what it's called but 1.5 days after washing the car, it's still completely wet so everytime I roll the window down there's a 2 inch streak of water there. Not sure how this thing is soaked...

I feel I haven't done something right, seems like a simple install. I also noticed the seal with the door in some place isn't as tight as on my passenger, it's miniscule but you can see a tiny little rubber lip that should sit flush when in contact with the door but it's not in a couple areas. All the clips are secure in and there's not much to do other then push down and it snaps in.

So I don't know, maybe I got the wrong part (bought OEM from local dealer)? (I threw the other one away) but it doesn't seem like a good fit like the other one, plus the the thing that is in contact with the window is completely wet.

Should be flush... no?

Not flush as well.

more on flushness, pic taken looking at it from the back moulding. Passenger sight is nice and tight

Old 06-08-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sash holder (triangle thing near the mirror) has a strip of foam stuck on it down inside the door. This is to keep the window molding from vibrating against it. The front clip gets hung up on it when you try to push the molding down in that area making it seam like the molding is not going to fit past the sash holder. Making sure it is out of the way and lubing the top edge of the door with soapy water will help the molding go on much easier.

The window molding does not make the window edge waterproof. It will keep some water out but the door is made to drain though holes at the bottom. The main purpose of the moulding ( besides stopping the window from rattling against the metal edge of the door) is to keep dirt and debris from washing down into the door where it will build up, hold moisture, and rust the door from the inside out. Don't worry too much if the new moulding doesn't stop all water from entering the door.

Quick Reply: DIY: Door Window Moulding