S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Exhaust Question

Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Exhaust Question

I asked this question in someone else's post but thought I'd start one just for this question.

Just a question, why don't I see posts about custom cat back exhaust where you pick the mufflers(and resonator) and have a shop bend the pipe and get a sound unique to your car?

Also if you did make your own exhaust, please tell us how it turned out.

I have never bought a pre made cat/header back exhaust(been doing this for 40 years), I want my car to sound different from the other persons cars that I hang with. Not all the mufflers I have picked sounded good on the engine that I put them on, but I sold the crappy sounding ones and went with another set(I've had to do this twice) so in the end I paid $20 to $30 more for the mufflers after all is said and done. The exhaust on the "S" is a very simple one to make(not a lot of tight bends) so it should not cost much to build and make the exhaust note uniquely yours.

Here is a good article on exhaust, I've seen cars with Kook's custom headers and their a first class header.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...exh/index.html

I have used these mufflers on a supercharged V6 and the sound is a deep low pitch and not loud(how would they sound on a "S" is unknown)
http://www.holley.com/types/Aero%20Chamber.asp

This is a old trick(we did this back in the 70's) to get more TQ out of a small bore exhaust(witch the "S" has) exhaust gas flow is from left to right
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng.../photo_20.html

ROD
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I saw your post on another thread (remember the links). In general, how are the Hooker mufflers in terms of loudness?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Something that occurred to me the last time I was at a track day with a big variety of S2000's, all modified to their owner's tastes, was that at full throttle in the power band, they nearly all sound the same regardless of exhaust. It's just a matter of volume. There are differences in character at low RPMs, but who cares about low RPMs?

So with that in mind, the only question is how much volume can you stand in exchange for weight reduction and free breathing? You can get a full-titanium single-exit that's practically a straight-pipe for less than $700, so why pay someone to weld some heavy thing out of steel?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:09 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt
I think I saw your post on another thread (remember the links). In general, how are the Hooker mufflers in terms of loudness?
On my supercharged V6, I ran them on 3" pipe back to a split(just like the "S") and twin 3" in/out hookers. When the cat went bad I bought a 3" high-flow cat and the volume went up so I put a race muffler on right after the cat and it brought the volume back down. The volume of the exhaust is just right for me and I do like to hear the radio when I go on my 600 to 700 mile day drives. But like I said what sounds good on one engine might not sound good on another, but these are the ones I'm going to try out first.

thomsbrain,
I like the idea of free breathing but if I want to lose weight I'll go on a diet . I don't track my car and I almost always have my wife in the car(more wight) so I'm not worried about weight, just how it sounds. Until people start to use different mufflers no one will know how the car will sound with some other brand of muffler. Hell I hate the sound of 99% of cars with Flowmaster mufflers but if no one tries one on a "S" I can't say that a Flowmaster sounds bad on a "S".

ROD
Old 05-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've spent several thousands building a custom 3" dual exhaust, and have tried 4 different brand mufflers so far (including Hooker Headers) with 2 more still in boxes. I' also tried different types of resonators, and have found that it's impossible to guessing how a combination is going to sound. However, I think the safe bet on the outcome for you would be that your wife would refuse to ride in the car on the highway for more than 30 minutes until you swapped the stock exhaust back on due to excessive drone while cruising on the highway. The hardest part of building a custom exhaust for the S2000 is eliminating drone at 3500 RPMs where the volume increases by magnitudes. The second hardest part is making it perform well with a low VTEC engagement. However, it sounds like performance isn't really your goal, so you are just left with the drone issue.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several people here have done it. I've seen posts on this in the FI section, somewhat recently.

I have never seen / heard one in person so I don't know that I'd like it myself. I'm stuck with stock right now.