S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Harness and rollbar install

Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness and rollbar install

Hi,

I'm installing the hard dog roll bar and maintaing 3pt belts as well as installing 6pt OMP belts, OMP grip racing seats recovered in leather (required shaving of inner leg bolster, but otherwise is fitting well, just touching door, and clearing center console) with the Buddy Club super low down rails.

While doing the install opted to remove the soft top as I only use the hard top, however the hard dog bar will work with the soft top, and with the double diagonal reinforcement I can maintain the center console.

Because I want to keep the bulkhead for stiffness, and to mount the 3pt belt pretensioners, it is not possible to run the 6pt shoulder belts to the harness bar. I will also be removing the inner lower leg fromt he OEM hoop to help reinforce the bulkhead, and welding the bulkhead to the roll bar where it has been notched to clear. Also planning to weld the front backing plates so it won't be necessary to cut open the inner fender to install the forward backing plate.

Here are photos of the build in progress and how I am reinforcing the bulkhead to provide a proper pickup for the shoulder harnesses. I will continue to post photos as I finish this up, hopefully on Saturday I'll have time to weld it up and have it all back together.

Thanks!

Andrew Wojteczko
www.autoanalyser.com/racing

Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 AM

Holy damn, Andrew Wojteczko?! You are doing the S2K Project Car in Modified Mag, right? I have read the issues on the Buddy Club headers, K&N FIPK, and Moton Dampers about 50 times. Looks like a great build. I have yet to get the latest issue, but I will pick it up soon to see an update on the project. Keep up the good work!

Btw, I can't see any of the pictures you posted.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:28 AM

Pics dont work.

-Matt
Old 07-25-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-25-2008, 08:02 AM

hey guys,

Yep this is the one I'm building with Modified, there will be a detailed write up on the install of the bar, seat, harnesses etc. in an upcoming issue.

I appologize for the photo issue, the file names are correct, and they show as being loaded to the server, however I believe the server is having an issue, I hope they will have it resolved soon!

Andrew
Old 07-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

<<<<
Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 AM

Photos repaired!!

I have 3 more harness eyelet inserts to machine up, the concept is to load both the front and rear sheet metal in the bulkhead by tying the two pieces together with the inserts. I am confident with the insert welded front and rear, and with the additional .060 sheet reinforcement welded to the front face, this will not pull through in a severe collision. Will have more photos tonight.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Nice, can I ask a question? For Modified Mag Project Cars, do the car owners pay for the parts themselves, or does Modified Mag pay for the parts? I ask this because I read that you guys got Moton Dampers and I was like wow, that is a lot of money.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

The way the pictures show ( at least the way I nterpert the photos) is not the correct way to install the Eye bolts for your harness.

It appears that the reinforcing plate is on the incorrect side of your mounting plane even if it is welded together.

It should be

Backing plate>>Bulkhead>> then eye bolt

Even if you weld on your plate it is still not the correct way.

The backing plate should be used to distribute forces over a larger area and prevent pull through of the eye bolt assembly.

If this was visible and you showed up at an event I was a safety inspector for where a 4,5,6 harness was required I would say negative to the install and not let you run.

Not trying to be nasty just want to make sure if you ever need to rely on the harness ( hope this never happens) that they will work properly and not fail on you.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 AM

Agreed.
Going to add a reinforcement backing plate on the back side as well.
The welded on front plate isn't as good as having both reinforcement paltes behind, however because access is so limited it is better than no reinforcement.
Will post up photos, should have this portion completed tonight.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Harness and rollbar install