S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Hondata intake gasket

Old 12-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

can you please report back here every so often to report how its holding up. would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 433 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I would re-check the torque on the manifold nuts/bolts on a regular basis, the main complaint is that they can loosen over time, if you do that you should be safe, and it doesn't take long to do with the proper tools.
It's really hard to get to all the bolts without removing a bunch of stuff every time though.
I did use thread lock on all the bolts and made a small mark on them to see if they are moving, but I'm afraid that the bolt "loosening" is because the gasket compresses and over time loose it's spring effect.
Not sure if that made sense, anyways I will update if anything happens.
It's probably four months before I get to even drive it though, I live in the wrong country
Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 3,391 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1387375641' post='22928368
I would re-check the torque on the manifold nuts/bolts on a regular basis, the main complaint is that they can loosen over time, if you do that you should be safe, and it doesn't take long to do with the proper tools.
It's really hard to get to all the bolts without removing a bunch of stuff every time though.
I did use thread lock on all the bolts and made a small mark on them to see if they are moving, but I'm afraid that the bolt "loosening" is because the gasket compresses and over time loose it's spring effect.
Not sure if that made sense, anyways I will update if anything happens.
It's probably four months before I get to even drive it though, I live in the wrong country
yeah you are exactly right, the bolts loosen as the gasket material thickness changes with temps and so forth, so I think Loctite will not solve all of the issues.

I can reach each bolt on the intake manifold and have them checked and tightened with a torque wrench in less than 5 minutes without moving anything. You just need to use the right combination of extensions and sockets with a bright light source, and I think on the last bolt near the firewall I use a wobbly extension. It is real easy to do once you come up with the right approach. Good luck
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM

Ok thanks, I need to buy some more tools then
Old 12-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldn't you tap the hole on the head and stick a plug in it to prevent any possible coolant leaking issues with the Hondata unit?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 AM

I guess you could do that with the small hole that supplies the TB and IACV.
But the other big hole which is the main coolant route from the head would be disaster to plug.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never had this IM off. What size hole is it?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM

Here is all the holes for you

The tiny one on the left just under the stud and the big one to the far right is for coolant.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamxpL
awesome research. but im just very skeptical to run this after all the woes people have experienced with leaking coolant.
^Mutual feeling.

Nonetheless, pretty cool post @ flanders
Old 01-01-2014, 04:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just read the posts here.

Yep I'm one of those unfortunate folks that had the coolant leak issue. It went as far as replacing my ACT clutch set as the clutch started to slip bad over a short period of time.

Of course I never knew the gasket was the culprit until cracking open the bell housing and witnessing coolant flowing out from the clutch region.

Upon further investigation it was discovered there were a few loose nuts on the intake manifold.

So I'm going back to stock, screw it.

My advice to you is to definitely check the torque on those nuts probably once a month depending on how you drive. Take care.

Quick Reply: Hondata intake gasket