S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Hot Take: OEM vs lowered OEM

Old 01-22-2020, 03:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The spec R springs are heavily forward biased, toward undeersteer, compared to ap1spring rates. Even more forward biased than the CR springs.
The CR Rates are 384/343 and the Swift Spec-R are 429/391. Roughly the same, with less front bias going to the Swift springs. From my own experience with them coupled with CR dampers (on an AP2), they provide a mostly OEM ride quality with improved performance and reduced roll, but the low-speed damping is not up to managing the springs completely over small bumps/undulations in the road. I would often get some very slight see-sawing on less-than-even sections of road.

Since the OP's car is an '03, if the stock bars are in place, it'll still have a fairly rear bias in terms of balance.

Originally Posted by InjunS2K
I see, I'll be taking my AP1 to autocross this weekend so I'll report back on what I think after then to be sure. I'll do some more research on suspension because while I did like the rotation on the street I can see how that would pose problems above 7/10's. Swift Spec R seems to be the best for our cars but I guess I might as well save more for coilovers for a few more months after I get more HPDE/autoX experience
How much previous HPDE/Autox experience do you have? If not much, I would suggest not dropping money on coilovers and saving it for events and consumables. It's just adding unnecessary variables as the stock suspension is plenty capable and can be tuned using OEM parts or an NC Miata bar for relatively little that will leave more money to spend towards seat time.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, my car is an 02, my suspension is from 03 (same deal tho) and I have a whiteline front swaybar and 255 square RT615K+ tires as well. I agree, I'm going to get as much experience on this setup as possible first until I can comfortably afford good coilovers and a BBK.