S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Old Question, No solid Answer - AP2 wing Functional?

Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[/quote]

i doubt any spoiler will add downforce on our cars but it should kill some lift (I have M.Sc in Aerodynamics)
[/quote]

You confused me. How can a spoiler kill lift without providing downforce?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thanasis11
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1373402445' post='22656212
Hm does the truck not close itself if you drive around? It seems like it should because the car itself has a certain amount of downforce without a wing.
no. ours cars (and most cars) produce net lift at the rear, thats why wings are so effective because they kill the lift or add downforce depending on the wing/spoiler of course. i doubt any spoiler will add downforce on our cars but it should kill some lift (I have M.Sc in Aerodynamics)
So the spoiler is splitting the air correct? What is the point of that?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

even if it did provide some downforce you might not even notice the difference. if you had a ton of track experience then you probably would. are you constantly driving at speeds that an OEM wing would make a difference i.e. 100mph? Most of the larger wings generate downforce, that you can feel, as soon as like ~70mph. I can't imagine you would feel the difference of an OEM wing within legal speeds.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I read the cr wing just reduces lift. I didn't see anything about actually creating positive down force
Old 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

"The CR's front bumper is bearded with a thick spoiler that lowers underbody pressure and reduces lift. The wind tunnel shaped the rear wing to bite into clean air to the left and right of the cockpit but preserve rear visibility. Twin fairings behind the seats channel air more cleanly for reduced lift when the aluminum hardtop is removed."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
Old 07-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Those holes are there due to a Mugen SS wing being on the car. Which also uses the same holes for the OEM spoiler, not the AP2 OEM wing (which has 2 holes on each side).

All you would need is the OEM spoiler to cover those holes, or a Mugen SS wing.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt it is noticeably functional for handling purposes. Like everyone has stated you have to be going pretty fast to notice a purpose built wing. It is functional from what Honda was looking to achieve, a new accessory for the car.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The OEM wing isn't designed for significant downforce, looks like just a fashion (~?) design.

If you just have one hole on each side an OEM spoiler will hide them. I believe the OEM wing required two holes on each side, in which case you're looking at a new trunk and respray.

When I ran my Mugen SS wing I could definitely feel less turbulence in the cockpit. But it still probably didn't do enough to provide significant downforce.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
"The CR's front bumper is bearded with a thick spoiler that lowers underbody pressure and reduces lift. The wind tunnel shaped the rear wing to bite into clean air to the left and right of the cockpit but preserve rear visibility. Twin fairings behind the seats channel air more cleanly for reduced lift when the aluminum hardtop is removed."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review
If one needs more visibility, a 285mm wing mount should solve it
Old 07-15-2013, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22
Those holes are there due to a Mugen SS wing being on the car. Which also uses the same holes for the OEM spoiler, not the AP2 OEM wing (which has 2 holes on each side).

All you would need is the OEM spoiler to cover those holes, or a Mugen SS wing.
I want the Mugen SS wing sooo bad but it's so expensive.

Quick Reply: Old Question, No solid Answer - AP2 wing Functional?