S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Plastic window replacement

Old 03-21-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic window replacement

Hey guys,
Just thought I would post up a quick diy for those who still have the plastic window roof.

I know the plastic roof sucks, but this could be a good way to replace just the window if yours is clouded/ripped/scratched up. It's a very cheap mod and it takes just a few hours so well worth it! I was initially going to buy a glass roof, but my soft top isn't in bad condition so thought I would just give this a go.

All I use was a tough vinyl fabric, leather sewing string and a good sewing needle.

old owner had glued on a plastic vinyl window - it was sagging and very badly scratched up.
Plastic window replacement-qbrt7yi.jpg

Unzip the top portion of the inner soft top to make the top stitches easier - I highly recommend getting help, it is important the plastic is sewn on nice and taut otherwise you will have an uneven finish
Plastic window replacement-uyyykaz.jpg

Top almost done
Plastic window replacement-2jnjmvy.jpg

The sides and bottom where quite hard, would be next to impossible to get there parts done alone. It took a long time and patience but eventually we managed to get it all sewn up
Plastic window replacement-2le5wrr.jpg

Image from inside once complete. there is a fold where the original window was sewn into the soft top. My original window had been ripped out sometime in the past. I stitched just above the fold to make it easier for the needle to go into the fabric/plastic. The top and side stitches are not visible from the outside so if you go a little rough it doesn't matter too much, but try to get the bottom stitches nice and even as you will see them from the outside, albeit not that noticeable.
Plastic window replacement-qv5mmoi.jpg

Quite happy with the end result. Once it's all stitched in place you can lift up the flap you've created now and apply a generous amount of waterproofing silicon/glue. It will for a nice bond where the stitches are. I'm yet to do this stage properly.
Plastic window replacement-smhk7wt.jpg
Plastic window replacement-y0r76xb.jpg

I did use a few cable ties in areas where it was too hard for me to get the needle through (but you can't see them as they fit under the outer soft top layer). The job cost me around $30 aud and I can see outside the window very clearly. Additionally the taut stitches are far more reliable than just glue/silicon, especially as the plastic folds in half when the roof is put down.