S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Powder coating or anodizing Exhaust Resonator?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powder coating or anodizing Exhaust Resonator?

I am basically looking to make my aftermarket exhaust look as clean and stock as possible. I only want to leave the tip of my Greddy SE Original and powder coat the rest of the exhaust so the resonator doesn't stand out like a bright, chrome sore thumb (imo) under the car. Is it safe? is there any material I can add that will withstand the heat?

What process do car manufacturers use or is it just the type of steel that they use (hence the chrome tips which are separate)?

I added pics so you can see what I am referring to. Any info would be well appreciated.

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails Powder coating or anodizing Exhaust Resonator?-greddy_se.jpg   Powder coating or anodizing Exhaust Resonator?-stock-exhaust.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Resonator = muffler can? I dont't know if there is a lot of value in powder coating ($$$) when high temp rattle can paint will do what you need. need to prep the surface well, not sure how good the paint will stick to that shiny metal.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 1,275 Likes on 962 Posts

Powder coat or E coat is what manufactuers use. Both are a LOT more durable than liquid paint.

Modern OEM exhaust systems are also largely and commonly made from stainless steel.

Do you plan to use this exhaust all year (snow/salt)? If not, high temp paint will work just fine. Otherwise you'll have to find a place with a powder oven large enough to fit a section of exhaust.

Liquid paint is going to be much more prone to flaking off regardless of your prep.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 AM

I think OEM's and some aftermarket manufacturers use some sort of metallic/ceramic coating as well. You can get the exhaust ceramic coated and it will last. But...its pricey, just like powder coat is pricey.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62ap1
I am basically looking to make my aftermarket exhaust look as clean and stock as possible. I only want to leave the tip of my Greddy SE Original and powder coat the rest of the exhaust so the resonator doesn't stand out like a bright, chrome sore thumb (imo) under the car. Is it safe? is there any material I can add that will withstand the heat?

What process do car manufacturers use or is it just the type of steel that they use (hence the chrome tips which are separate)?

I added pics so you can see what I am referring to. Any info would be well appreciated.

Thanks!!
Anodizing doesn't work on steel, it's a process often used with aluminum to protect the metal from oxidization or to harden it.

On steel, you can use powder coating for a durable finish, but it must be sandblasted and baked at about 350deg, thus the need for a large enough oven. The cost of having your exhaust powder coated would be pretty high (several hundreds). Since exhausts get very hot, this would probably degrade the coating quite quick, particularly near the engine. Some powdercoats will simply burn (and stink) if heated too long.

The idea coating for an exhaust is you use ceramic coating, typically available in black, blue and silver (which can be polished quite shiny). This concentrates the heat inside your exhaust and protects the steel. This also needs to be heated in an oven. Pricing is usually about the same as powder coating.

Rather than coating, you can wrap it with exhaust wrap. I highly recommend DEI titanium wrap. This will have a very similar impact to ceramic coating, though won't protect your steel was well. Figure ~55$ for this option.

The easiest and least expensive solution remains the rattle can. Check out VHT paint for high temperature rated coatings. Figure ~11$ for this option.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It would probably be worth checking out the Rustoleum high temp BBQ paint. Tough stuff and holds up to high heat. You're going to want to scuff the finish on your exhaust with red 3M pads and clean well before the paint is applied.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM

He wants to coat the MUFFLERS. So...wrapping it won't work to make it less conspicuous. I wouldn't spray paint mufflers that started out as polished stainless steel. That paint ain't finna stick for long.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
I think OEM's and some aftermarket manufacturers use some sort of metallic/ceramic coating as well. You can get the exhaust ceramic coated and it will last. But...its pricey, just like powder coat is pricey.
Thanks for your input. I'm gonna look around for a local shop to see how much they can do ceramic coating. If it's done right, I don't mind paying a lil for it.