S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

RSG roll bar owners! I have a question

Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, when deciding on your belts keep in mind that most clubs have a requirement that the passenger side must have the same safety equipment as the driver's side. This means that if you're running a bucket and 5 or 6 point harness for yourself the passenger side should be the same. If you're running solo it doesn't really matter, but if you're going to have an instructor in the car with you it will probably be expected.

Also, you shouldn't have any problems with inspection with harnesses rather than stock belts, though it may depend on your location. My last track car was street driven to and from events and didn't have any issues with the harnesses during inspection.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by matthugie
OP, when deciding on your belts keep in mind that most clubs have a requirement that the passenger side must have the same safety equipment as the driver's side. This means that if you're running a bucket and 5 or 6 point harness for yourself the passenger side should be the same. If you're running solo it doesn't really matter, but if you're going to have an instructor in the car with you it will probably be expected.

Also, you shouldn't have any problems with inspection with harnesses rather than stock belts, though it may depend on your location. My last track car was street driven to and from events and didn't have any issues with the harnesses during inspection.
When you say inspection, you're talking about inspection at the track? or a police officer inspecting your car?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:17 AM

State inspection, you asked if the harnesses were street legal.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:13 AM

I can tell you from personal experience harnesses are not allowed for VA state inspection. I failed for this (among other small things) a few weeks ago. Contact the shop that will actually be doing your inspection and ask them before you ditch the oem belts altogether. I have mine setup so that I can quickly reinstall the oem belts (along with the stock cat) for inspection every year.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by redhen2' timestamp='1421521985' post='23471929

I can tell you from personal experience harnesses are not allowed for VA state inspection. I failed for this (among other small things) a few weeks ago. Contact the shop that will actually be doing your inspection and ask them before you ditch the oem belts altogether. I have mine setup so that I can quickly reinstall the oem belts (along with the stock cat) for inspection every year.
I'm new to the "perhaps non-street legal car" world. I'm in CA. In my 12 years of car ownership, I've never had to do a state inspection other than smog. But I don't think the smog shop will be checking for my seat belts.. Could you enlighten me where/why/how often I need to do this state inspection?

I was primarily concerned about what I get pulled over I might get a ticket for a non-street legal harness.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by merkis1024
Originally Posted by matthugie' timestamp='1421500629' post='23471624

Originally Posted by redhen2
Originally Posted by matthugie' timestamp='1421500629' post='23471624

I'm new to the "perhaps non-street legal car" world. I'm in CA. In my 12 years of car ownership, I've never had to do a state inspection other than smog. But I don't think the smog shop will be checking for my seat belts.. Could you enlighten me where/why/how often I need to do this state inspection?

I was primarily concerned about what I get pulled over I might get a ticket for a non-street legal harness.
Like I said, this is per VA annual inspection requirements. Every state is different. After I swap my steering wheel that will be another thing I have to change out every year to pass inspection. VA doesn't allow any 'alterations to safety equipment'. If pulled over, yes they could technically tow my car for the harnesses or steering wheel. However, I have been pulled over many times, gotten many tickets, and have never had them do anything more than mention 'yeah you got the racing harnesses, makes sense I got you doing 83 in a 45.' I have never had to do a state inspection either before moving to VA, most we had was emissions in GA. It's bullshit. They check belts, hoses, holes in the exhaust, suspension bushings, brake pads front and rear. . . . etc etc. However your state may be very different, I have only ever registered vehicles in GA and VA.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I live in NC and I absolutely hate driving in VA. I don't even like having to drive THROUGH if I'm headed somewhere up north. The highway patrol, the local cops, everybody with a badge just seems out to get you and your citation fine money. It doesn't surprise me one bit to hear that your inspections are that much of a PITA.

matthugie lives in NC like me. Just like you said, every state is different. Here you can pass with aftermarket harnesses, steering wheels, etc. Hell, you can legally pass with a busted tail light and two OBD2 checks incomplete. Not to mention the number of people that have "a guy" that passes their 0.1% tint, open-headers muscle car with HID's in their eBay halogen headlight housings and taillight tint so dark you may as well just remove the bulbs. I don't even see the point of inspection in NC besides it making the state $35 per car per year.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
I live in NC and I absolutely hate driving in VA. I don't even like having to drive THROUGH if I'm headed somewhere up north. The highway patrol, the local cops, everybody with a badge just seems out to get you and your citation fine money. It doesn't surprise me one bit to hear that your inspections are that much of a PITA.

matthugie lives in NC like me. Just like you said, every state is different. Here you can pass with aftermarket harnesses, steering wheels, etc. Hell, you can legally pass with a busted tail light and two OBD2 checks incomplete. Not to mention the number of people that have "a guy" that passes their 0.1% tint, open-headers muscle car with HID's in their eBay halogen headlight housings and taillight tint so dark you may as well just remove the bulbs. I don't even see the point of inspection in NC besides it making the state $35 per car per year.
PM the guy who has that "guy", my Lexus is tinted really dark. Gave up on the S as I can't get it inspected in NC. Going to keep it. Maybe I will move to a better state. And I can only have one OBD2 check incomplete.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:30 AM

do these bars allow you to maintain the original functionality of the softtop?
Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wutthebun
do these bars allow you to maintain the original functionality of the softtop?
Yes if you wish to keep it.

Quick Reply: RSG roll bar owners! I have a question