S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

What’s My Best Option For Clear Headlight Lenses; Buy EDM, JDM or Used Ones And Mod?

Old 05-29-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you S2ki bro's, just stumbled onto this thread and I have always wondered about the process of cracking an headlight opening and resealing them. I have been skeptical since I have seen opened headlamp that eventually ended up with serious condensation issues. Thanks for the tip of clamping them in, I think that might be the problem was that they needed to be clamped while the adhesive is cooling for a optimum sealant that wouldn't cause condensation when it rains. I own an AP1 and would love to upgrade to an AP2 version of the headlights but would want to retain the AP1 projectors as it has one of the best cutouts out there. I love the cut out on the AP1 for sure. It's definitely one of my next add-on's since I have seen aftermarket AP2 headlamps on ebay presently.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by plato
Thanks Chris, you're absolutely right about the heat gun. Tried it, failed and was about to send them for the installation, which costs nearly $500 with shipping, when I thought about what you said. Gave the oven a try and presto! First headlamp (I placed it on top of a wet towel and put painters tape around) 225 degrees for 15 minutes, took some effort but I did it. Second light. 225 degrees for 17 minutes made it easy-peasy. Same for putting it back together - put the lamps on and placed them in the oven for 17 minutes / 225 degrees. That made them pliable, allowing me to put the tabs and position it right without any hiccups.
glad it worked out for you It's a bit nerve-racking at first but after you do it once, it's a peace of cake.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Grip Hrd
Thank you S2ki bro's, just stumbled onto this thread and I have always wondered about the process of cracking an headlight opening and resealing them. I have been skeptical since I have seen opened headlamp that eventually ended up with serious condensation issues. Thanks for the tip of clamping them in, I think that might be the problem was that they needed to be clamped while the adhesive is cooling for a optimum sealant that wouldn't cause condensation when it rains. I own an AP1 and would love to upgrade to an AP2 version of the headlights but would want to retain the AP1 projectors as it has one of the best cutouts out there. I love the cut out on the AP1 for sure. It's definitely one of my next add-on's since I have seen aftermarket AP2 headlamps on ebay presently.
There are a couple causes for headlights that leak after resealing: not clamped back together enough or the glue is not distributed evenly upon resealing. The clamps from Home depot help with the first one obviously, but uneven glue distribution is one that a lot of people may not realize needs to be done. When preparing to reseal the headlights i try to look at the areas of the headlights were the glue seems sparse and redistribute as necessary once the glue is heated up again and before clamping them together.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum

Euro LHD headlights have the above mentioned issues and JDM RHD headlights suck b/c of the RHD beam cutoff.

It's quite easy to bake your headlights and pull them apart to change the diffuser. Set your oven to 270 deg and bake for 7 min each. I like to place them on a flat piece of wood in the oven. start prying them apart and just be careful not to get the stringy glue on important bits and you'll be fine. Buy some clamps from the local hardware store for when you put them back together--clamping the 2 halves shut while waiting for the glue to set helps immensely.
And what if you buy a complete set of Headlights ? (ballasts, bulbs, etc)
I'm considering upgrading my Euro Headlights (Pre Facelift / AP1) with US AP2 Headlights (complete set)

I'm just hoping I'll have no swapping issues (connectors or other things), then I'll sell my Euro Headlights (complete)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ripper0306
And what if you buy a complete set of Headlights ? (ballasts, bulbs, etc)
I'm considering upgrading my Euro Headlights (Pre Facelift / AP1) with US AP2 Headlights (complete set)

I'm just hoping I'll have no swapping issues (connectors or other things), then I'll sell my Euro Headlights (complete)
The turn signal plug is different and US cars don't have auto-leveling (not sure if auto leveling is JDM or Euro only). Everything else will bolt up and plug in just fine.