S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

What's wrong with my clear lenses?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my clear lenses?

I order the clear lenses from Rick's and upon receiving them, installed them, and after it rained one filled up with condensation. It looked like it wasn't flush with the body and didn't "pop" in like the stock ones do. I sent them an email request and got a replacement quickly and installed the new set. Well, they're once again filled with water.

I didn't want to bother going through emailing Rick's again because the first time they didn't even tell me they were sending a replacement and just shipped it, which made me feel like it was a dismissal replacement due to being annoying. I've worked with tons of online retailers before, so that isn't the usual response or professional way to handle the customer and make sure they understand your concern and that they would make sure you were satisfied.

At this point I don't want to email them again and was just curious if anyone else has dealt with this problem and can offer some advice on how to install it and make sure it is flush. I don't see any gaps that even a finger nail could fit in, so I'm not sure if it's me or the product. Thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean the clear side markers?

Dry them off/clean them up, and then you need to seal them yourself with some RTV black (or clear) silicon. I did it by popping off the lenses, and then running a small bead along where the lens mates to the body.

I'd be happy to repair a set for you in exchange for the other set

P.s. oem honda clear markers aren't that much more expensive

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 05-27-2012, 07:19 AM

Yea, I meant the side markers. So they're always going to let water in if I don't seal them up? I was also disappointed that I paid $20+ for them with shipping and found them on another site for $10. I guess getting two sets helped me recoup the loss a bit, but one of them broke upon removing it :/ So the exchange idea is out the window.

When I remove them, how do I keep the bulb/wiring from falling into the body?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Tape
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Sooo, I tired to remove them and they won't budge :/ I don't know why. Maybe the expansion from the heat? Ughhh.... I hate how they look with condensation in them!
Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM

The lenses from the plastic base, or the whole thing from your fender?

If former, I'd try heating them in the oven, as if you were doing headlights. I'd try on the extra one first.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the Rick's ones and they kept getting condensation in them so i just bought a set of CR side ones from the Honda dealer-- they're clear and OEM--- no condensation.

They are actually cheaper than the Rick's ones------here they are from Majestic Honda for $8.31 each side----(items 21 and 22)

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...gry5=HEADLIGHT

If you order them from your local dealer, make sure to ask for ones from a 2009 CR--they're the only OEM clear ones.

I kept my wiring from falling back thru the hole with some electrical tape-- i wrapped it around the wires below the socket and stuck it to the fender--- masking tape would work too.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:59 PM

I also bought some from Ricks and they fogged...sent him an email and never heard back from him! I went on eBay and got some OEM and have not had an issue at all. They were like $21 from a dealer who sells on eBay.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
The lenses from the plastic base, or the whole thing from your fender?

If former, I'd try heating them in the oven, as if you were doing headlights. I'd try on the extra one first.

The whole thing from the fender! What a pain. I gotta wait for the temps to drop again to go at it...

Thanks for the advice guys! I think I'm just gonna order another set and I'm glad to see that I'm not just an idiot who can't install something as simple as a side marker, properly. Just gotta get the other ones off...

How do I know those are definitely clear, jetboater?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you go to your local dealer, tell them you have an '09 CR and want replacement side lights. They'll look up the correct part number.
The link to the Majestic site are the part numbers for the CR as well.
All the "non-CR" USA models came with amber lights but in other countries it varied over the years. I think they were clear on Japan market cars all years ( that's where the idea initially came from several years ago--folks were trying to get clear JDM ones imported here and Rick decided to have some made-- then they put them on 09 CRs and that gave US Honda dealers a part number to be able to order them)
To get them off, I used a putty knife under the back edge between the light and the fender --pushing the clip toward the front of the car-- I broke one of the clips on my Ricks ones getting them off but I didn't care as they were wet inside. You should also be able to use an old credit card or even a thin bladed pocket knife. If you're worried about scratching the paint, wrap it with a layer of masking or electrical tape. You only need to push the clip a 1/4 inch or so to be able to pull the lights off. The new OEM ones went in without needing any sort of sealant to hold them tightly in place.

Quick Reply: What's wrong with my clear lenses?