S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Low Fuel Pressure with new AEM FPR

Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it might sound a bit odd but...can you check if the FPR is actually functioning properly ? Maybe there is something wrong with that
Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 AM

Right, sorry for the delay, had a small issue with a leaky roof so that trumped the S2000!

Thanks for the suggestions, I've not tried to block the output of the FPR, but I'll give that a shot on Thursday night to see if the guage actually moves.
I did buy another FPR out of curiosity, it's fixed at 3 bar so I thought that might make things easier for the moment.
So here's what I've done since the last time I updated this thread, if anyone's got any revised suggestions, they're all appreciated!

Checked for a spark, all four were ok.
Injectors are working so fuel seems to be getting into the engine.

Swapped out AEM adjustable FPR for Weber 3bar FPR with Jenvey JIC6 mount. - Not even a cough.
Blocked the fuel rail to remove the FPR from the system entirely. - Not even a cough.
Swapped back to the Spoon (basically standard) ECU. - Fired for maybe 10 seconds and slowly died out. Then attempted to fire a few times before returning to nothing at all. This is with the fuel rail blocked.

Tried various combos but interestingly, the only thing that ever started the engine, was the Spoon ECU when it had been disconnected from the battery for a while.
So whenever we refitted the Spoon ECU, the engine would start on the first attempt, but not the second.

There was a visible difference in the amount of fuel going into the engine between the two ECUs.
The AEM produced a proper spray, the Spoon just dribbled a bit. Nice.

Oh, one more thing is that all the time I was doing this, I was pointing a little fan heater into the throttle bodies for ten minutes before trying to start it as per a suggestion from a clever cousin.

My guess then is that it's something to do with the base map on the AEM ECU. The chap who sold it to me has given me some suggestions for things to try, I'm a bit nervous of changing things as I've no idea what I'm doing, but I'm told it'll be fine..... Fingers crossed!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump to me.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the fuel pressure. The ECU make/model/basemap will not change the fuel pressure.

Once you have fuel pressure then it could still take a bit of fiddling to get it to start if your injectors/setup are vastly different to what the basemap was made for. Have a few sets of plugs on hand in case you flood the motor as the excess fuel puts the spark out.

Are you mixing JDM and non-JDM looms/ecu's? The JDM ones have the fuel pump relay control on a different pin to the other markets. Its the pin next door. Pins A15 and A16 are the normal/JDM ones. If you have mix/matched too much the fuel pump won't switch on.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:51 AM

Hello again, I borrowed a fuel pressure guage from a mate, and this one says 3bar!
This is using the Weber FPR by the way.

So that's sorted, I also found out I'd fitted the TPS upside down on the ITBS.. Ahem.

It still wouldn't start, so I thought about your flooding point Chris, and I ran the injector rescale wizard in the AEM software to set the injector size to 330cc vs. the 450cc that are actually fitted.
To be honest, I've no idea whether that was a good idea or not, but it does start now!

Only problem to overcome now is that the revs climb steadily with 0% throttle, once I've done that I'll take it to a rolling road to get it properly tuned by grown ups!

So thanks again for your invaluable tips, you've saved me countless hours of heatbutting the steering wheel!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 AM

If you have an AEM V1 the automap function can be tuned to work reasonably well. I use automapping to rough out the table, then only the logging function to then build a log table I can use for fine tuning. I find that the AEMpro has a trick of loosing the automap target file each time you restart so I keep a copy in a spreadsheet I can cut and paste in.

Main thing is to setup your target table appropriately in the correct units and slightly slower reacting automap values than suggested by AEM.

If you want this program was from a F24 stroker, E85 fueled with 1000cc ID injectors with Toda 50mm ITB's. MAP sensor was used for barometric compensation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2hz2eoo6i...0itb.V1.19.cal
Old 03-17-2014, 06:16 AM

I bought this ECU:
http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk/p...cnumber=112146

I can't find the automap function in the menus of the software though, so maybe it doesn't have that on mine?

I spoke to the chap who sold me the ECU and he said it sounded like too much air was getting in. I made an attempt to balance the throttles by eye, and set them to fully close when you come off the pedal and it idles at 1200rpm when it's warmed up now!
It's not ideal, but I'm planning to get it tuned properly by someone who knows what they're doing so I'm not too worried. It's drivable for the moment.

Thanks for the map etc though!
Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM

You have the later AEM v2 which replace the automap with a quick lambda function. You need to setup he closed loop O2 target and settings. While you are driving, if you kit a particular key the ECU looks at the O2 feedback value and applies it to the base table. Look at the AEM forums, a guy posted up a utility to kit the key for you continuously while the utility is switched on.

Copies of the version I downloaded here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4e2nv2j0f8...20AEMTuner.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn60y3uidj...20Autotune.pdf

back off all the linkages and close each throttle completely. Open each one 1/4 turn and see how it idles. One you get it right takeup the slack with the linkages.