S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Proof is in the pudding lets talk air induction

Old 09-02-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me they are pretty well tuned N/A from the factory
Old 09-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

With an open filter you will most likely get heat soak during hot weather, when you are stuck at a traffic light. The car feels like it is bogging a little before it picks up. This is what I felt when I removed the top from the airbox. I don't feel this happening with my FIPK (although some people do feel it still), but it might be b/c I wrapped the box of my FIPK to shield it a little more from the heat.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by egvtec,Sep 2 2009, 10:15 PM
Seems to me they are pretty well tuned N/A from the factory
The truth.

Honestly, Lighter wheels and maybe gears will be the most felt mods. As you just said, the S is very good as is.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, with wheels and gears, no tuning is needed
Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by zacs2K,Sep 2 2009, 12:04 PM
the top is open though, im talking about closing the top part of it
Technically,the Fipk is a box, the lid is your hood, it comes with trim molding that goes around the primeter of the box so when the hood is shut it creates a seal not allowing heatsoak. FipK is dyno proven and more efficient than the OEM filter. OEM in take filter is nice, relative to other OEM filters, but has it's limitations.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^idk about that. i use to drag the s with the FIPK and i experience some heat bogging.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the process of deciding my intake situation as well. I recently got back from the dyno, and on my bone stock 02, i compared a new OE filter with a new K&N, and the yield was almost 5whp and 3ft/lbs of tq. The K&N fipk does nothing as far as placement is concerned imo. And people claim that they recieve gains up to 7hp with the fipk, but it is more prone to heat soak. And I hear people talk all the time about how it bogs (hence the heat soak).

What i am curious of is how much of a gain you actually receive from an OE box with a K&N filter, to the actual fipk. Because, if these claimed numbers are from a factory box with factory/paper filter, to the K&N tube and filter, then (from my personal experience anyway), you would only be gain 1-3whp over just switching out your factory filter with a K&N one.

Unless your going for sound, the biggest improvement would probably be the PW:JDM one. The only turn off there is that installation takes for ever, and you have the popular dilemma of hood closing issues, and re-mounting of various pieces.

I would like to do another dyno test to see if cutting the OE box would benefit any more as well.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Sep 1 2009, 01:22 PM
K&N FIPK with heatwrap and DIY snorkle with enlarged opening, bottle neck under bonnet removed.

nice work on the DIY duct, can u make one for j's racing typ's bumper?
i want one so it can flow air into my vortech air intake, picture plz take a look.

thx

Leo
Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Almostlude,Sep 11 2009, 03:50 PM
Technically,the Fipk is a box, the lid is your hood, it comes with trim molding that goes around the primeter of the box so when the hood is shut it creates a seal not allowing heatsoak. FipK is dyno proven and more efficient than the OEM filter. OEM in take filter is nice, relative to other OEM filters, but has it's limitations.
yep. it forms a seal when the hood is closed. it is probably the best bang for the buck intake out there.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by prancer,Sep 14 2009, 05:05 PM
I am in the process of deciding my intake situation as well. I recently got back from the dyno, and on my bone stock 02, i compared a new OE filter with a new K&N, and the yield was almost 5whp and 3ft/lbs of tq. The K&N fipk does nothing as far as placement is concerned imo. And people claim that they recieve gains up to 7hp with the fipk, but it is more prone to heat soak. And I hear people talk all the time about how it bogs (hence the heat soak).
Ever stop to think that the heat in general will cause heat soak. My car would experience heat soak just sitting in the hot sun when it was stock. The k&n does a pretty good job of keeping things sealed off from engine heat in the bay.

Are there intakes that do a better job

Quick Reply: Proof is in the pudding lets talk air induction