S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

PWJDM filter swap

Old 03-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PWJDM filter swap

I have a PWJDM intake. I have had it in the car for a year or two now, and I like it. One problem though: It ingests EVERYTHING! Living more in a country setting, this has helped lots of junk (mostly bugs) and other crap stuck in the filter. I've done what I could to knock a lot of the crud out, but the supplied filter, which is a K&N, is damaged and I would like to replace it before getting my car going again this spring.

I am looking at a couple different options, but would be open to others if people know of them. Of the options below, I am also interested in a filter-shroud. I know it will detract from the performance a bit, but I do have the option to take it off when I want, or put it on before longer road trips.

1-PWJDM replacement filter. On their website, it has the PWJDM logo on it, not K&Ns, which makes me think it's different than what they originally supplied me. I emailed them, but have yet to get a reply.

2-K&N universal replacement filter. I had to measure my supplied one as best I could to get some numbers to get off their website. I also emailed K&N to see if they have anything in their records.

3- AEM Dry Flow universal replacement filter. Going by the measurements of the K&N, I found the likeliest match, but it's not exact. The flange ID is the same, but the filter itself is larger in diameter a bit and also different in length.

The AEM Dry Flow is the filter I'm most interested in, so if there is anyone here who has this installed, please let me know how they feel about it, even if you have it installed in a different intake. The measurements/clearances/airflow within the filter chamber are the biggest concerns for me were I to get this due to it's slightly different dimensions.

If anyone has any other filter brand suggestions for a replacement filter, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you tell me the model of the aem dry flow your looking at please
Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM

K&N Part# RU-4740

AEM Part# 21-206DK
Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Emails replied to me by both K&N and PWDJM suggest that I'm dealing with customer service idiots who didn't read the email I sent them.

I'll either call or reply to these emails for further info.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm still very much interested in the AEM dry flow filter fit and function with my intake, but I called K&N, and got the correct part I need from them. I will hold off on any purchases until I have more info...
Old 03-16-2012, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive recall reading in one of wadzii or b.r.i.a.n intake threads that the aem dry filter performs much better then the k&n?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks. That's good to know. I read some stuff in other forums about differences between the two. People generally favor the Dryflow, but how much more effective it's filtration and airflow is over an oiled filter, I don't know. AEM makes both types, so it might be good to compare the two of the same brand? At that point, the loaded question pops up is AEM better than K&N? But that's another topic.

I don't know how much of a difference the sizing would make airflow-wise. AEM does not make a size-for-size filter identical to the size of the K&N. The larger diameter concerns me a little. Granted, the size difference is not that much, it can affect airflow through the intake.

Dimensionally, the AEM filter has 5/8 inch larger diameter the board than the K&N, but is shorter by 7/8. If this were the other way around, I'd feel a lot better about it due to the filter cavity in the intake system.

Lateral surface area is also affected by the dimensional changes. I don't know how much 4 inches of surface area would make on airflow, but the effective filtration area favors the K&N. I'll contact AEM about some of these questions too, but I fear I will be barraged with sales pitch crap.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone compare the K&N to AEM drop in filter?