S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Stroker 2.4 low whp numbers :(

Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wadzii
Do a 4 inch cold air intake and 3 inch exhaust and a retune. You'll pick up 20hp
4 inch intake sounds huge. I am not sure how this would net me any gains if it's bottle necked by the throttle body. How would
anything bigger then the throttle body make mire power? I don't get it.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much power can the stock intake manifold support for N/A...maybe it's choking the motor at high rpms? Might need a 70mm throttlebody before changing to a 4" intake?

Maybe it's easier to just use itbs lol

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a couple of things that were missing here - conditions and I assuming you were dynoing at evans @ 525ft above sea level - current is

Humidity: 52%
Wind Speed: CALM
Barometer: 30.25 in.
Dewpoint: 47°F
Heat Index: 65°F
Wind Chill: 65°F

Also I am surprised that since the numbers were low and the power curve why evans didnt offer to compression test the motor and inspect the head to check the cams.

Also the Dynopak reads whatever the tuner decides - some try to emulate the dynojets output some don't. Since it's evans and he has charts to compare at least you have that baseline.

I would check the cat if you havent - yes a new 3in exhaust will help - but first leakdown, check cat. Also if it does have a tp make sure you check for leaks I have seen that a few times too.

Also I this is the BC dyno chart with spec 2 cams - there doesn't seem to be a major problem based on this - look at how much more tq you are making.

One thing you may want to be concerned with is the motors history - I have seen a couple of people still pushing stroked motors to 9000 rpm on track days and bragging about it

Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fleshlight86
Originally Posted by wadzii' timestamp='1337427457' post='21712017
Do a 4 inch cold air intake and 3 inch exhaust and a retune. You'll pick up 20hp
4 inch intake sounds huge. I am not sure how this would net me any gains if it's bottle necked by the throttle body. How would

it is, but it will work.. done it many many times.. even with a small throttle body.

with what you have now 4 inch might not make any more power vs a 3.5 but you wont loose any power and you wont have to change it when do more things later on.

my 2.2liter motor picked up 12 going from a 3inch to 4inch on a stock throttle body.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM

was it a dyno jet or dyno pack...your first post states both
Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 AM

It was a dyno pack. I get those confused.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by wadzii
Originally Posted by fleshlight86' timestamp='1337567601' post='21715277
[quote name='wadzii' timestamp='1337427457' post='21712017']

it is, but it will work.. done it many many times.. even with a small throttle body.

with what you have now 4 inch might not make any more power vs a 3.5 but you wont loose any power and you wont have to change it when do more things later on.

my 2.2liter motor picked up 12 going from a 3inch to 4inch on a stock throttle body.
[/quote]

Do you have a pic of that? I went to home depot and looked at 4 inch PVC just to get a idea. It seems like it would look silly. Im probably going to have a place custom make me a intake.
Im probably gonna slap this exhaust on then do a leaks own test. If all checks out then I"ll start looking into intakes.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 AM

if u have a buddy club single its a 2.5" for a fact. that prolly holding back some hp. grab a the berk 3" header back prolly best bang for the buck single on the market right now
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
a couple of things that were missing here - conditions and I assuming you were dynoing at evans @ 525ft above sea level - current is

Humidity: 52%
Wind Speed: CALM
Barometer: 30.25 in.
Dewpoint: 47°F
Heat Index: 65°F
Wind Chill: 65°F

Also I am surprised that since the numbers were low and the power curve why evans didnt offer to compression test the motor and inspect the head to check the cams.

Also the Dynopak reads whatever the tuner decides - some try to emulate the dynojets output some don't. Since it's evans and he has charts to compare at least you have that baseline.

I would check the cat if you havent - yes a new 3in exhaust will help - but first leakdown, check cat. Also if it does have a tp make sure you check for leaks I have seen that a few times too.

Also I this is the BC dyno chart with spec 2 cams - there doesn't seem to be a major problem based on this - look at how much more tq you are making.

One thing you may want to be concerned with is the motors history - I have seen a couple of people still pushing stroked motors to 9000 rpm on track days and bragging about it

I told him the compression was 250 in all four cylinders. I pulled the valve cover to determine the cams were infact bc the next day. He seemed convinced that it didn't have cams, as was I. Next step is put this exhaust on and a leak down.
I was planning on changing the exhaust anyway, so finding this berk 3 inch for a good price is a plus.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 AM

Hopefully with a exhaust upgrade and a larger intake I will be right where I am suppose to be.
I don't think anything is wrong with the engine itself but you can never be to sure. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Stroker 2.4 low whp numbers :(