S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Battery recommendations?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys interested in Shorai I am dealer, I sell a lot of this to bike guys and use them on all our bikes. Don't mean to advertise or to sell here but can make group buy or something.
This batteries are not really made for cars but should work fine as long you don't have any electronics running all the time to drain battery. If you do you need to disconnect battery if not daily driver.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TWF
If you guys interested in Shorai I am dealer, I sell a lot of this to bike guys and use them on all our bikes. Don't mean to advertise or to sell here but can make group buy or something.
This batteries are not really made for cars but should work fine as long you don't have any electronics running all the time to drain battery. If you do you need to disconnect battery if not daily driver.
When you say electronics running, do you mean with the engine off? I drive my car about once a week and then drive it about 200-250miles to the local tracks listening to music the whole time. Does this matter at all?

Thanks
JJ
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM
TWF

Yes, with car off. Some electronics draw current while car is parked. If it is track car sitting for month or two it can drain battery. On my race bike which sits whole winter I just disconnect battery. That way I don't need to keep charger on it. You could get Shorai charger and have it plugged but this batteries can be sitting disconnected for long time without dropping voltage and it is easy to simply disconnect battery. Another thing is they have different posts than your normal car battery so you need to change cable end.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 PM
TWF

btw. reason I am telling you this is in case you want this battery you should take care of it. I don't think Shorai will warranty battery used on car so you are on your own. They are expensive and you don't want to kill it. With that said they are just batteries, like any other, lead or not. You take care of it and it will work. They work just like lead ones except in really cold they may crank little slower and make you think they are bad, it is just characteristic of lithium battery.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I figured, I've just learned not to assume anything. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ1
Mike, do you use a trickle charger or anything? Or is it just like running the stock battery?
I do nothing extra, although Shorai recommends using their charger to condition the battery once a month or so for maximum life; the battery has individual cells internally that the car can't necessarily recognize. Their charger has its own plug/port on the battery.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TWF
I've left my car sitting for a few weeks at a time without any problems. I have an aftermarket alarm. As always, YMMV.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
TWF

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I've left my car sitting for a few weeks at a time without any problems. I have an aftermarket alarm. As always, YMMV.
Just friendly suggestion for longer life. Like I said, I am dealer and sold hundreds of this batteries, since day they came out.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:09 PM

17 lbs brille for road racing, 11lbs brille works for auto cross, just won't start the engine when hot for road racing.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Shorai 36 and it has behaved really well, my only issue is that the terminals in the battery itself seem to have loosened, as I can wiggle them by hand. Doesn't seem to affect the performance any though. Starts much quicker and easier than the stock battery ever did, I have left my car without starting it for 4 or 5 weeks at a time, without disconnecting the battery (I have no alarm) with no signs of the battery weakening at all. Now it just has to last like this for another 9 years for me to feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

What I ended up doing is bending the bottom of the threaded OEM battery hold down rods at the same angle but higher up the shaft, using a vice, and then cutting the bottom off so that the threads are in the sweet spot for the hold down. The Shorai's come with a bunch of different sized adhesive backed grey foam sheets in the box as packing material, a nice touch!

Name:  85c5c6d1.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  109.8 KB

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations?