S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Battery recommendations?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using a $60 Walmart jetski battery for the past year. It weighs 4.5 lbs if I remember correctly and if it goes bad so what lol. Cranked the car the other day when it was 16*!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you guys tell me if I need a trickle charger for my Deka ETX16L? It just came in today.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own the Deka 18L, and no you don't NEED a trickle. Chargers can be cheap, though. Another lithium manufacturer called ballistic sells this charger:
http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...gerBalance.php

BUT, notice this amazon knockoff that's much cheaper?
http://www.amazon.com/IMax-Digital-b...ef=pd_sim_t_21

This charger works with lead, nicd, nimh, and lithium batteries so you can charge most anything with it. Just pair the above charger with a 12v DC adapter. I use the adapter from my old lcd monitor. As a bonus, when I have downtime at the track I can charge my rc car batteries off my car battery . Or charge a cordless impact battery / walkie talkie battery if I wire it correctly.

The shorai balance port should have 5 pins in it, meaning its a 4 cell lipo battery (4 positive terminals, and one common ground). The LCD readout of the charger lets you monitor the voltage of the individual cells. That's the only real way to check if the cells are matching in performance, which is important since Shorai's website says they don't make a battery approved for automotive use yet.

We have no solid introduction date in mind for automotive versions at this time, nor do we explicitly recommend that our LFX be used in automotive applications, simply because they have not yet been certified internally for that application.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

How much are the terminal adapters and cell conditioners for the Shorai? I figure this will be my next battery. 25 pounds saved up high in the car like that sounds very nice, especially since I had to give up my Ti exhaust due to old man ears.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM

There are a couple of different brands of balance plugs out there, and I don't know which the shorai uses since I don't own one. Best bet is to bring your shorai and charger to an rc plane hobby shop and have them tell you the right plug. The plug in the picture is $5.50.
As others have mentioned, you can go for many months without bothering with a balance charger. But considering how shorai hasn't made a car-specific battery yet, it's nice to have a charger with an lcd readout of the individual cells so you can keep track of the battery health.
Lithium batteries have a resting voltage of 3.7v per cell, with anything below 3.0v or above 4.2v being a death sentence. With the shorai being a 4 cell, you need to be mindful of scenarios that would subject the battery to the danger zones of below 12.0v or over 16.8v. A dying alternator could kill the battery with it.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
TWF

Shorai charger plugs in to port on battery (5 pin). You get charger with few different cables.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM

been using a PC-680 for DD for about 1 year now and I got it used and was a race only battery for like 6 months. 2006 with 55k on it, stock stereo, aftermarket Lojack and OEM car alarm. If car sits for a few days, I definitely notice some delayed startup, just isn't as quick as with a big battery. never any issues at Autocross with multiple starts. Autozone actually carries some short J-hook threaded posts that can be used with the OEM battery holder. Just put a few zip-ties around it as well for insurance.

dont's
- multiple starts in short period of time without some sustained RPMS to charge
- underdrive your alternator
- leave a flashpro plugged in over night - drained my battery 100%
- leave a OBDII bluetooth device plugged in over night - drains battery but would start next day. took me a few days to realize I shouldn't do that.. .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/v1-5-ELM327-...-/140719021117

If you do upgrade your stereo and like to thump from light to light around town, I'd also run a 1 to 2 FARAD CAP near your amp.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using a braille carbon fiber battery relocated to the spare tire well. I keep a battery tender on it at all times and haven't had any issues yet.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gen2gsr
I own the Deka 18L, and no you don't NEED a trickle. Chargers can be cheap, though. Another lithium manufacturer called ballistic sells this charger:
http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...gerBalance.php

BUT, notice this amazon knockoff that's much cheaper?
http://www.amazon.com/IMax-Digital-b...ef=pd_sim_t_21

This charger works with lead, nicd, nimh, and lithium batteries so you can charge most anything with it. Just pair the above charger with a 12v DC adapter. I use the adapter from my old lcd monitor. As a bonus, when I have downtime at the track I can charge my rc car batteries off my car battery . Or charge a cordless impact battery / walkie talkie battery if I wire it correctly.

The shorai balance port should have 5 pins in it, meaning its a 4 cell lipo battery (4 positive terminals, and one common ground). The LCD readout of the charger lets you monitor the voltage of the individual cells. That's the only real way to check if the cells are matching in performance, which is important since Shorai's website says they don't make a battery approved for automotive use yet.

We have no solid introduction date in mind for automotive versions at this time, nor do we explicitly recommend that our LFX be used in automotive applications, simply because they have not yet been certified internally for that application.

What exactly do I need along with that "cheap" charger from Amazon? It doesn't seem to come with cables and such...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM

I can take pics of my charger + accessories when I get home. What you would need in addition is a 12v DC power source like a laptop power supply and the 5 wire balance plug that mates with the shorai.
If you have your shorai already, your best bet is to search google maps for nearby hobby stores that sell electric rc planes, since planes often use 4 cell lithium packs with 5 wire balance plugs. Then you can use that balance plug with a volt meter and periodically check the voltage in each cell.
You dont HAVE to balance charge for longevity, you mainly want to verify that the cells are staying somewhat matched. If one cell does start to stray in voltage from the flock, THEN you need the balance charger.

Quick Reply: Battery recommendations?