S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Endurance Race S2000

Old 10-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Endurance Race S2000

Hello! Looking into Endurance racing the S2000.

Wondering if anyone here has raced on in races of 7-24 hours? Any issues?

My main issue is the fuel Burn, we are only allowed up to 15.2 Gallons in the car. How long will this last?
Old 10-09-2018, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I have not done any endurance racing, I can tell you that I will go through almost a full tank in one track day that consists of four 20-minute on track sessions. I have a stock engine, stock ECU ‘04 with mild aero and I average about 8-9mpg. You might make it two full hours but probably not much more.

Just as a few reference points, the winning Porsche 919 Hybrid used about 525 gallons during the 24 hours of lemans. Daytona 500 cars burn 125 gallons in a 3-3.5 hour race.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:19 PM

There was an S2000 in the VIR 24 Champcar race this year. I have no other info than their entry list row:50.McParland Motorsport1332000HondaS2000

edit. looks like these guys https://www.facebook.com/mcparlandmotorsport/
Old 10-10-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by the5
Hello! Looking into Endurance racing the S2000.

Wondering if anyone here has raced on in races of 7-24 hours? Any issues?

My main issue is the fuel Burn, we are only allowed up to 15.2 Gallons in the car. How long will this last?
you will be surprised how much it can very through managing you shift points. VTEC will play a significant part. You have to go out and run the car. We had a BMW 540 we use to chump race and for example: Our 14 hour race had 1 less stop if we short shifted into 17 at Sebring The delta in lap time went from 2:43ish to 2:45-46ish but it was the correct pace. The additional brake wear and fuel consumption came into play driving that 3 seconds a lap faster pace. It’s likely you will have a 2 hour per driver kind of rule and it’s all about making that mark. When you do the math on any car that requires 1 additional fuel stop (factor a 5 min mandatory minimum on that stop) it requires hours of driving a faster lap to make it up and then your wear and fuel burn goes way up.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

McParland is on here and runs his S2000 in endurance races. I can't remember his screen name at the moment.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:52 PM

Look for Ziptie racing WRL. They run an API and have done 4 to 24 hour races.
00mugens2k id the mechanic/driver
Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did an AER race this year in my s. Day 1 was full rain, and day 2 we lost clutch in first session due to throwout bearing failing. So unfortunately I don’t have great data.

That said i spoke extensively with Paddy and Pete, plus others who’ve done endurance racing over the years in the S. Turns out there’s actually a lot more s’s that have done them then you’d imagine. Mostly the limited SCCA endurance events such as devil in the dark.

The outside temperatures make this biggest difference in what cooking you do or don’t need. For the extreme, you need to go fill out from trans/diff cooling, and all. Worst case need to change those fluids out before and after day one if a two day race.

Fuel, with stock tank I’d budget and 75mins max, however, some hyrdomat, will buy another 5-10mins, possibly lowering redline/early shifting will help, etc. I think though if you’re serious about endurance racing a cell is the way to go.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I did an AER race this year in my s. Day 1 was full rain, and day 2 we lost clutch in the first session due to throwout bearing failing. So, unfortunately, I don’t have great data.

That said i spoke extensively with Paddy and Pete, plus others who’ve done endurance racing over the years in the S. Turns out there’s actually a lot more s’s that have done them then you’d imagine. Mostly the limited SCCA endurance events such as devil in the dark.

The outside temperatures make this biggest difference in what cooking you do or don’t need. For the extreme, you need to go fill out from trans/diff cooling, and all. Worst case need to change those fluids out before and after day one if a two day race.

Fuel, with a stock tank I’d budget and 75mins max, however, some hyrdomat, will buy another 5-10mins, possibly lowering redline/early shifting will help, etc. I think though if you’re serious about endurance racing a cell is the way to go.
[/QUOTE]

Throwout bearing? How did it manifest itself? Sounds like a Richard III moment: "My kingdom, my kingdom for a horse."

With just over an hour between refuelings, was refueling time an issue? It looks like a nicely prepared car, was a dry-break, quick-fill setup configured? Was a driver change planned for each refueling stop? Were brakes expected to run the entire event or was a pad change planned? Were tires expected to last the entire event? If not, how often were they expected to be changed?

What determines the need to change the transmission or diff oil after a short running time? Which oil was used?
Old 10-18-2018, 06:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Throwout bearing? How did it manifest itself? Sounds like a Richard III moment: "My kingdom, my kingdom for a horse."

With just over an hour between refuelings, was refueling time an issue? It looks like a nicely prepared car, was a dry-break, quick-fill setup configured? Was a driver change planned for each refueling stop? Were brakes expected to run the entire event or was a pad change planned? Were tires expected to last the entire event? If not, how often were they expected to be changed?

What determines the need to change the transmission or diff oil after a short running time? Which oil was used?[/QUOTE]

i highly doubt dry break is allowed. At this level most bodies require a 5-gallon max dump jug.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by miamirice

What determines the need to change the transmission or diff oil after a short running time? Which oil was used?

i highly doubt dry break is allowed. At this level most bodies require a 5-gallon max dump jug.
[/QUOTE]

The AER rules seem to allow a dry break...and any size fuel cell. The dry break manufacturers claim very fast refueling (less than 10 seconds for 11 gallons.)

Quick Reply: Endurance Race S2000