S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First AutoX

Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Good points above on the course walks too. Everyone has their method, but the main point is you have a method for them. Mine is below.

First walk is just to get the general feel for where the course goes and start noting key cones (The ones you care about and need to apex).

On the 2nd walk, I try to make sure I have the course memorized (not apex points, specific lines, but where the course goes). I do this by walking the first couple of elements, stopping and closing my eyes. I then, without looking, play back that path in my mind and make sure I remember it. I then walk a bit further and stop and replay from the start to where I am standing. Then the next section, I do the same. At the end of the walk, I play back the entire course in my mind. If I remember it without having to look, then I proceed to the next part. If not, I take another walk repeating this process to make sure it is memorized fully.

After the above, I focus on key line items I need to remember. I specifically do not memorize every detail of my line. Partially because all that can change at speed and in the car, and partially because it is too much clutter to remember. I focus more on those few places where I need to really remember something, like where the "go cone" is on an element or tricky areas where the good line may be harder to see at speed. Also, if there is an issue with the pavement I may need to avoid that normally would be on the good line.

So all in all, I care most about remembering where the course goes. And then just the few key spots after that. The reasoning in the first part, other than not wanting to DNF, is that if I remember the course fully, I can sit and drive it in my mind over and over and over if I feel like I need to. This makes it feel more familiar on my first run and I can focus more on finding the fast line and not feeling like I am trying to remember where to go.

Also, the above approach makes it easier on me at events like Nats or running Pro Index locally. At events where you get 6 runs, you can spend more time on the first couple learning more about the course. At nationals type events, you get 3 runs and done.So you really do need to put down a quick run faster, and spend less runs experimenting. So knowing the course as if you have driven it already really helps. Think about how well you know the course at the end of an event and how much faster you may have gone knowing it that well before driving it!

The biggest thing is not to overpack your mind with too much while walking, or you forget most of it afterwards. Everyone is different. I feel that being able to imagine the whole course without looking at a map is important for everyone. So that is a must. But do not get yourself too bogged down in remembering "brake at this cone, turn in on this cone, accelerate at this expansion joint, etc" for every part of the course. It is very hard to get all that correct at walking speed, and it overwhelms most peoples memory and just causes confusion. There are those pointy end guys that can walk and just remember every piece of that, but even many of the pointy end folks take a more minimalist approach too.

I mentioned pro index because in our club (lots have this class but not all run it the same way), we typically get 6 runs per day, but in pro, you take your fastest morning + fastest afternoon and that is your time for the day. So just like a 2 day nationals event, but on the same course and in one day. So going fast in the first 3 is key. The idea is to help prepare for nats and just making yourself drive faster earlier in the day.

And breakfast ... yes!!! I used to grab a donut and pop before an event. I was amazed at how much more focused I felt when I started eating better. Now, I normally have a protein drink (I like the special k ones) and fruit (banana, strawberries, etc) in the morning and I find I am more focused and do not feel dead before lunch :P And ... if you throw a bag of strawberries in your cooler, they are the most amazing frickin thing ever at 2pm when you are boiling hot and they are ice cold
Old 08-31-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

1. get petreldata solostorm www.petreldata.com, obd reader, and gps unit. data is invaluable, particularly line, throttle position,
2. find the fastest driver in the club even better if he has experience in an s2k, ride with him, have him ride with you, and have him drive your car.
3. attend more events, and even better if you can take an autocross driving school class if available, i've probably done well over a 100 events.
4. have fun
5. don't mod, just tires, brake pads, and regular maintenance until you've got a hang of things and know what direction you want to go, typically after a year or so.
6. dont be afraid to hit cones and or spin, its all part of learning.