S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Are Fortune Auto coilovers "legit?"

Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you went the right direction

I'm also somewhat shocked that this didn't turn into the usual "flame the newbie" fest
Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must say, for a new visitor to this forum, it's difficult to separate the good advice from the noise. There are plenty of threads that will say that product X is amazing, when really, that product might be crap. Unfortunately, it seems that there are quite a few posers that are ok with products that have a lot of gloss, but not a lot of substance. I understand that you guys probably don't want a bunch of "is this a good product" question in the racing forum, but unfortunately, it seems like the best place to ask questions about real performance gains.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I think its because you posted in the correct forum. Most people in this forum are track guys so you'll get the right advice regarding this subject.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I'm glad you went the right direction

I'm also somewhat shocked that this didn't turn into the usual "flame the newbie" fest
I think it's because he was honestly looking for opinions rather than trying to justify why a cheap coilover would be adequate.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Did anyone mention the point penalty of running the KWV3 over a single adjustable shock in NASA TT? It's something like a 7 point difference. The point difference between a tire like the nt01 and a tire like a Hoosier a6 is only 5 points. I saw one member on here running ksports in TTC. This is a racing and competition forum, ya? Can you select your own spring rates with the kwv3?

I have had a few single adjustable set ups. My favorite were my M030 konis on my 944 turbo. I had ots konis on an autox Camaro and they performed fairly well. I was running in STU then I found out the engine I built wasn't STU legal(I was young and power hungry). My most hilarious set up was a Camry on Megan coilovers. They did exactly what I wanted and completely transformed the car. I eliminated wheel hop and got the car to handle well. The 2grfe engine made it pretty quick too.

To each his own. The KWV3s look like a great option though. I ordered the fortune coilovers and will get them set up for a proper track test if I ever get them. It's been a long time lol.

This is the thread with the ksports:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/567.../page__st__150
Old 08-02-2012, 07:46 PM

my friend actually just got fortune deadnought (spelling?) coilvers and i have to say i was very disappointed. the manual says that they always ship their shocks full soft so we tried to turn it to stiff, wouldnt turn. we tried to dial them back, still didnt turn. we called customer service and they said to put some force into it and it came loose. that means they were shipped full stiff! and to really top it off, the instructions werent even for the dreadnought version...

basically even from just that standpoint its a thumbs down for me
Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker
my friend actually just got fortune deadnought (spelling?) coilvers and i have to say i was very disappointed. the manual says that they always ship their shocks full soft so we tried to turn it to stiff, wouldnt turn. we tried to dial them back, still didnt turn. we called customer service and they said to put some force into it and it came loose. that means they were shipped full stiff! and to really top it off, the instructions werent even for the dreadnought version...

basically even from just that standpoint its a thumbs down for me
Sheesh that's not good. Im a little worried now. Aren't the dreadnought coilovers pretty pricey? How long did it take them to ship the coilovers?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 AM

So I finally got the KWv3's installed, got the adjustable end-links installed, put some RE30's with RS-3's on the car, got it aligned and corner-balanced and...

HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS AWESOOOOOOOMMMMMME!

It's so much more than just stiff. Actually, if I hadn't told my fiance that I installed the coil-overs, she said she never would have known. The car is so much more communicative, and the way it stays planted through undulations and bumps in corners is absolutely amazing.

I've got my first auto-x in less than a month, so I'll really be able to tweak the setup then. For now, with the recommended settings and staggered tires, the car is pushy. I think I should be able to tune that out by increasing the compression and rebound in the rear of the car, or maybe just adding more air to the rear tires at the auto-x.

For now, I'm another happy customer.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes getting the tried and true parts... is tried and true.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby.is.rad
So I finally got the KWv3's installed, got the adjustable end-links installed, put some RE30's with RS-3's on the car, got it aligned and corner-balanced and...

HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS AWESOOOOOOOMMMMMME!

It's so much more than just stiff. Actually, if I hadn't told my fiance that I installed the coil-overs, she said she never would have known. The car is so much more communicative, and the way it stays planted through undulations and bumps in corners is absolutely amazing.

I've got my first auto-x in less than a month, so I'll really be able to tweak the setup then. For now, with the recommended settings and staggered tires, the car is pushy. I think I should be able to tune that out by increasing the compression and rebound in the rear of the car, or maybe just adding more air to the rear tires at the auto-x.

For now, I'm another happy customer.
Now just imagine if you got something even more "expensive" and tried and proven

Quick Reply: Are Fortune Auto coilovers "legit?"