S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

GPS dataloggers: Predictive Lap Timing

Old 11-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS dataloggers: Predictive Lap Timing

Hi,

Just bought a Racepak G2X with the Predictive Lap Timing ("PLT" here) feature, and I tried using it at SpeedVenture's last event at SOW, but I am still trying to figure out how to get the most out of this powwerful tool.

Now, problem is, the manual does not speak of this feature AT ALL. (Nice going Racepak.) And I googled forever for this, and even called Racepak a few times, and for whatever reason I could not find any documentation for G2X's implementation of this, or reach anyone at Racepak. So, I am going to just assume it works this way:

1. Just set my record lap @ 1:30min.
2. Then moving on, took turn 1 about the same as the last lap. PLT display shows 0.
3. Took turn 2 faster by 0.5s. PLT display now shows -0.5.
4. Took turn 3 slower by 0.7s. PLT display now shows 0.2 since overall I am 0.2s faster, assuming all the next turns are taken just as fast as those in my best lap?

Sounds about right? (If so, why couldn't they just put this in the dang manual!?)

Okay, so assuming this is how it works, what ways have you guys found this to be useful? Here are some I came across on the web and other places:

1. Trying different lines while lapping. So, in order for you to tell if you have a better line, you will have to take a look at the PLT and mentally note it before trying the new line. Then if your line is better, you should have a more negative number at the end?
2. Knowing when to "save yourself" for the next lap. Someone on another forum stated for TT folks, this could be useful since you'd know when you know you've blown a lap and would like to abort bad laps to save things like tires or brakes or whatever for the next lap.
3. In HPDEs or other high-traffic for-lap-time events, to find value even when slowed by traffic. Emilio tolk me of this. I guss the idea is that if you are held back by traffic, when the "coast is clear" you could first note the current PLT, which should be very positive by this point, and then attack the next few corners. If you actually did those corners better, you should make the PLT less positive, if you actually did them faster than during your best lap.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DL-1 has a similiar feature, though they just display the actual predicted lap time instead of the delta. I've got my best lap time sitting right next to it on the display, so in practice, it ends up conveying the exact same information as you are describing.

I run TT and, as you mention, have found this useful in deciding whether or not to continue to push a lap or cool down the tires and find some open track. Another trick is setting a split a little before the pit entrance to give me a clue whether the lap is close or not so I can pull off and avoid a "cool down" lap on a hot track if it wasn't going to be a better lap anyway. I can get out of the way, stop wasting gas (and dropping weight!), and cool the car down with a slow tour of the paddock if I need to.

Besides these more strategic considerations, I also find it a helpful way to look at the splits. As you were suggesting in #1 and #3, you can at least get a feel of what is working and what isn't for a particular sector before you get the data back to the analysis software, even if you are missing the details. While I find it hard to remember exactly what my best splits were, so looking at those in real time isn't much help, it's pretty easy to see that you made or lost time compared to your best lap.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 AM

Racelogic's CircuitTools software has a delta T function that works incredibly for seeing where you are fast vs slow. Much better than using a bunch of splits... It shows +/- time as you move the cursor along the graph so you can see time gained or lost on every part of the track.

I've found that splits are only really good for looking at where you were faster or slower on the actual Pbox without having to look on the computer.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM

[QUOTE=nissanfanatic,Nov 12 2010, 03:12 AM]Racelogic's CircuitTools software has a delta T function that works incredibly for seeing where you are fast vs slow.