S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

How much power for reliable track setup?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I believe a stock motor is barely reliable when driven by a competitive driver (someone consistently in the top 5 in his wheel-to-wheel racing group or a TT regional champion). The better a driver you are the harder you can work the car and the less reliable it will be. So as you get faster and your lap times come down I would reduce boost accordingly.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
I believe a stock motor is barely reliable when driven by a competitive driver (someone consistently in the top 5 in his wheel-to-wheel racing group or a TT regional champion). The better a driver you are the harder you can work the car and the less reliable it will be. So as you get faster and your lap times come down I would reduce boost accordingly.
What parts break?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I lost my original AP1 engine just days before I was planning to do the valve keeper upgrade to AP2 parts.

I lost two engines to what was probably g-induced oil starvation. I was running a stock oil pan with a baffle. If I were still tracking an s2k I'd definitely go with an after market oil pan.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
I have the new kraftworks kit too.

I limited boost a different way. My RPM cutoff is 8100. That limits boost to 11.x on pump gas.

how much power do you put down with 11.x psi?
Old 06-14-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^^ He puts down 360 to 380 the last two times hes hit the dyno at RSG.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same dyno with my 2.4 I hit 240 to 250 for reference. Stock cars hit 190-210 (AP1 AP2) IIRC.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I lost my original AP1 engine just days before I was planning to do the valve keeper upgrade to AP2 parts.

I lost two engines to what was probably g-induced oil starvation. I was running a stock oil pan with a baffle. If I were still tracking an s2k I'd definitely go with an after market oil pan.
good tip! I've had the moroso pan with some doors in for quite some time. With the help of another SoCal S2K Challenge member I'm also logging oil temp and pressure through my Solo DL. It overlays oil reading throughout the lap. I can say that with the welded in baffle there are zero oil issues even when holding 1.35G for 2.5 seconds.

Also so super surprised that oil temps even with boost are not over 250 while on track.
The following users liked this post:
robrob (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

A good driver gets everything out of the car without breaking anything...
Old 06-15-2017, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to the OP:
Your car, in more ways than one, will have limitations to what it can handle. You may find that when you push the power up to (example) 410 that you begin to wear your brake pads and rotors very quickly, or they overheat before the end of a session. You may find that the car begins overheating again. You may find that the transmission begins to have issues, etc, etc. There are a whole huge list of potential problems, and without having a team of engineers go over your car you can't really figure out what will and what will not be able to handle the additional stress & strain. You may be thinking about the engine mainly, internals, cooling system, etc, which is the first thing that comes to mind, but there are more areas that you may have issues.
It may be good to track the car for a while and see what happens. Maybe it is really reliable at it's current setup, or maybe you do one more track day and start having more issues.
I like to think about it this way: you could be 1 or 100 laps away from your next issue.

Not trying to be negative, it would be cool to have 450 whp and beat-up on some C6 corvettes and such! Good luck with it, I hope you have no issues either way!
Old 06-15-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
good tip! I've had the moroso pan with some doors in for quite some time. With the help of another SoCal S2K Challenge member I'm also logging oil temp and pressure through my Solo DL. It overlays oil reading throughout the lap. I can say that with the welded in baffle there are zero oil issues even when holding 1.35G for 2.5 seconds.

Also so super surprised that oil temps even with boost are not over 250 while on track.
What oil cooling option are you utilizing?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: How much power for reliable track setup?