S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Kpro4 to AIM solo DL data feed tutorial

Old 09-17-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
Can you share this library? Is this what you mentioned previously about the firmware?
Sure can. PM me your email and ill send it.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! I bought one of these as well and found that it reads everything I want except PPS for the brake pedal. Before I dive into a rewiring project, should I expect the brake pedal sensor to work with just the DL OBD II harness and the Kpro Digital Output set to AiM MXL ?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by IanCrane
Nice! I bought one of these as well and found that it reads everything I want except PPS for the brake pedal. Before I dive into a rewiring project, should I expect the brake pedal sensor to work with just the DL OBD II harness and the Kpro Digital Output set to AiM MXL ?

Thanks!
You can approximate brake from the accelerometer but otherwise there is no brake sensor output. You can add a brake pressure transducer wired to an analog input on the kpro, but I haven't done that yet. Its honestly not something I have felt I needed over the accelerometer data.

You cannot use the OBD2 harness with the kpro for all the kpro specific bits. They are different outputs. The OBD2 output comes off of the ECU the kpro is connected to, whereas the CAN feed from the kpro comes from the daughter board and has much more info.

To make this work, youre building a harness, no way around it.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, my purposes are different, no doubt. I make videos with overlays, like this one, which was the first with the Solo2 DL (hopefully the link shows the thumbnail)

If I could show brake and throttle (instead of just throttle) then the overlays would be much better for newer drivers trying to learn a track. The data refresh rate was too slow when I used Bluetooth OBD-II adapters with a phone app like Harry's or Track Addict (better), but it got better with the Solo2 DL direct harness. Still not really good enough, though... but it sounds like even if I do the rewire that you did, I'll not get the brake pedal data. BUT -- would I get higher resolution TPS? From my video, it looks like I'm only getting 2 readings per second when I'm lucky.

I was grateful to have the Solo2 DL data because my alternator went out on track, and when I returned home after my resulting misadventures, I was able to see exactly when it happened and correlate that to things I noticed, like the fact that my car didn't start quite as quickly at the start of my last session...
The following users liked this post:
Stook_Driver (01-16-2021)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, my purposes are different, no doubt. I make videos with overlays, like this one, which was the first with the Solo2 DL (hopefully the link shows the thumbnail)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4BBDCl5-MQ

If I could show brake and throttle (instead of just throttle) then the overlays would be much better for newer drivers trying to learn a track. The data refresh rate was too slow when I used Bluetooth OBD-II adapters with a phone app like Harry's or Track Addict (better), but it got better with the Solo2 DL direct harness. Still not really good enough, though... but it sounds like even if I do the rewire that you did, I'll not get the brake pedal data. BUT -- would I get higher resolution TPS? From my video, it looks like I'm only getting 2 readings per second when I'm lucky.

I was grateful to have the Solo2 DL data because my alternator went out on track, and when I returned home after my resulting misadventures, I was able to see exactly when it happened and correlate that to things I noticed, like the fact that my car didn't start quite as quickly at the start of my last session...
FWIW check out the AIM smartycam. The camera is controlled by the solo2DL, powered by it etc. When I turn the key on, the data system comes on and powers on the camera. When GPS detects im rolling it starts the camera recording, and the laps on the video file are indexed by times. The below video had zero post production. It comes out of the camera like that.

This is the result with this data system wired to a smartycam:
Old 01-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Hey, I just noticed this... can I buy the CAN harness from AIM and hook it up directly instead of using the OBD-II port?

Screen shot from RaceStudio3 of the Change ECU dialog
Old 01-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Hey, I just noticed this... can I buy the CAN harness from AIM and hook it up directly instead of using the OBD-II port?

Screen shot from RaceStudio3 of the Change ECU dialog
Yes that is what this whole thread is about.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Killer! I'm going to check out your channel!

You're not the first to suggest the $marty Cam. I often combine 3 or more camera angles, but that production effort also prevents me from getting videos up of at least half of my track days. I recently put one up from my TrackAddict phone (shoulder view) just so I could at least get the hot lap up with an overlay - I did have to start the app on the phone, but at least I got a hot lap posted that would otherwise not have made it. So I definitely see the appeal. And I'm sure I could export it without the overlay if I wanted to bluescreen it like the one in my earlier post?

Thank you for your precious time!
Ian (SparkyS2K)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Ha ha D'oh!

I was hopeful that this was new in Solo2 DL and the cable would direct plug without mods.

So thank you very much for figuring this all out and sharing it.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Yes that is what this whole thread is about.

know this is an an old thread, but wanted to ask if this was still 100% accurate in today’s world.

anything new that was implemented since then?

i want to follow your DYI and get it working on my kprov4 setup.

Quick Reply: Kpro4 to AIM solo DL data feed tutorial