S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: Which LSD unit have you used and do you recommend?
Cusco RS (coil spring engagement, clutch, 1.5 way, 100% lock)
11.82%
Cusco MZ (Bellevue washer engage, clutch, 1.5 way, 100%)
0%
OS Giken (Bellevue washer engagement, clutch 1.5 way, 100%)
39.09%
Carbonetics (Bellevue washer engagement, clutch, 1.5 way, 100%)
9.09%
Kaaz (similar to Cusco MZ, clutch, 1.5, 100%)
15.45%
Torsen stock (non-clutch)
12.73%
Torsen Quaife (non-clutch)
11.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Which LSD Unit Do You Recommend

Old 12-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit' date='Dec 25 2008, 12:53 AM
I don't know what that means. Your car rolls around and licks its genitalia?
Same amount of traction vs. exertion that your dog experiences when you walk in to a PetSmart store with tile floor. All toenails, no gription.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alvanderp' date='Dec 25 2008, 06:30 AM
T3 is a Road Racing class with the SCCA, T3 S2000's aren't allowed much modifications over a stock car. My point was that if the OS Giken offered a few tenths on a short tight course over the stock torsen with a car that makes alot less power and runs smaller tires than Stanford's, that his car would likely see a larger discrepancy.

Autocross puts different loads on the car than road racing or street driving does. It is very easy to unload the inside rear tire enough to make the torsen light it up, especially when you are running very wide sticky tires and alot of power. I am not incinuating all torque-biasing diffs are bad, just that they would be bad for Stanford's application.
That makes sense but is a million miles beyond the OP. I've never met anyone who thought the torsen was a better choice for a real race car or a street buildup with 300+ HP. That's why it isn't used for those applications (exc for some Audi S cars...), at most it is a center diff application in AWD cars with that kind of power. It would have been a lot better to give the op a summary:

Torsen will shock load and wear quickly if the roll stiffness isn't corrected, it doesn't work at all in the air. Torsen is highly effective in low/split mu with moderate power.

Disk pack systems can be abrupt and all wear significantly (at varying rates). They can also generate enough heat to kill the diff without additional cooling under endurance conditions. They are also rebuildable, and can in some designs easily change the percentage lockup. They are also typically rated for much higher torque applications.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 PM

great info in this thread.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:31 AM

Clip of a stock Torsen lighting up the inside tire at the ~ 1.20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbq0USbik1A

More power than stock is just more misery in the slow stuff. Clutch diff changes that scenario.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Feedback on the OS Giken: pops more often than my Cusco RS did, but the severity of the pops are quieter. This is with 75-140 oil the first change, and Amsoil 190 the second change.

Plug for Ben with Puddy Mod Racing though - the diff he set up for me is incredible. Quiet, no whine, no problem handling my car at 14 PSI today. Fun stuff.

Stanford
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 AM

I'll put it this way. I am removing my Cusco because I can't drive my wife or a client in the car without them asking "is this thing broken?" It doesn't just make noise, the entire car shudders, pops, squeals and shakes. It's better when the car is warm, but it's not all gone.

I am replacing with an OSG.

The Cusco performs wonderfully at the track and reasonably well at the auto-X.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry14953567
Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

I've heard miscellaneous reports of the carbon material in the ATS carbon plates causing problems. Apparently it doesn't drop to the bottom like organic or sintered metal. Instead, it stays suspended in the oil and can in some rare cases, increase side bearing wear. Haven't seen it myself but the very short recommended drain intervals for that diff may shed some light on it.

Driven the Cusco on a few cars, liked them, noisy.

As an OSG dealer, naturally I have nothing but good things to say about them. While the tuneable lock timing is a great feature, the only guys that ever really play with it are big money race teams and a few drifters. Everyone else seems to be happy with the standard settings. They like heavy full synthetic oil. I recommend Amsoil 75-140, OSG recommends something called synergyn.

We may be putting a diff in Charles Ng's AP2 for the S2000 Challenge series in a month or two. The OGK gets one soon too.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my Kaaz 1.5way in my race car. But I'd never want to drive it on the street.

I also change the fluid very frequently on it to be safe since it only sees race duty.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Willie Gee,Feb 10 2009, 09:56 AM
I'll put it this way. I am removing my Cusco because I can't drive my wife or a client in the car without them asking "is this thing broken?" It doesn't just make noise, the entire car shudders, pops, squeals and shakes. It's better when the car is warm, but it's not all gone.

I am replacing with an OSG.

The Cusco performs wonderfully at the track and reasonably well at the auto-X.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry14953567
Hey Willie
You will need to use a friction modifier (2 to 3 oz) in the diff to quiet it off. Most standard gear oil only has at best a 3% friction additive the Cusco will need more.

I have installed a few OSG LSDs and am running one in my car now. I like this LSD a lot it is smooth in operation and ramps up nicely in turns.
I am running Amsoil 75/140 full synthetic severe gear lubricant in the diff right now. I only get a little pop now and then but, it is more a feel pop than a noise (sound) pop. I had in this diff first Amsoil 190 SAE full synthetic extreme pressure lubricant. The Amsoil 190 did not perform for me as well as the Amsoil 75/140 is, I get less pops from the OSG with Amsoil 75/140 severe gear lubricant.

I have been talking with Sean Fenstermacher from OSG about a proper lubricant for their LSD. I have been giving input to them on what experiences I am having using the Amsoil product.
Sean has been giving me info about their working with a US oil company to formulate an oil that is even more suited for the OSG.

I am now working with Motovicity as well to do field testing on the Carbonetics LSD.
I will be putting the carbon LSD in one of my PuddyMod rears for testing.
I will run the rear first in my 02 N/A S2000 for daily driver use on the street and maybe an auto cross or two.
Then the LSD will be put through it
Old 02-12-2009, 06:07 AM

[QUOTE=S2KPUDDYDAD,Feb 12 2009, 10:43 AM]
I have installed a few OSG LSDs and am running one in my car now.

Quick Reply: Which LSD Unit Do You Recommend