S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Nov SCCA Fastrack: S2000 moves down to BSP

Old 10-06-2004, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys have any experience with BSP Datsun 240Z's packing 280Z motors? Our region's FTD is dominated by one like this and nobody has been able to touch his times in over several years.

I'm wondering if there are any that show up at the national level with this kind of prep and how well/poorly do they do?
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 PM

The 240Z used to be very dominant, but its run seems to be over. There is a very fast Z that runs our local anything goes class with a $25000 crate motor and similarly priced sequential transmission. Search for "Rusty Old Datsun"... you should find a little bit about its pedigree.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:59 PM

...I'd lower and stiffen the suspension, and put on great big wheels and tires (limited in SP only by willingness to flare fenders. You could run Corvette size tires.) Probably change final drive gears...
Final drive changes bump you to SM2, correct?

So, a bench racing summary for a BSP S2000...

>'04+ MY platform
>Triple adjustables riding as low as tire clearance allows and then deal with flares
>17X9's in the front with ? 245/45's ? & 18X10's in the rear with 285/30's
>Urethane suspension bushings, motor mounts, tranny mounts, diff. mounts
>Adjustable FSB and slightly larger diameter rear
> X-brace in front (any need to bother w/STB's? weight vs. gain in stiffness?)
>ECU tuning w/lower VTEC engagement point & raised rev limiter (way raised)
>CAI, larger bore throttle body (legal in SP ?), header, test-pipe (cat removal), $15 straight exhaust or $2K single exit titanium
> ???cc injectors, high flow fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator (tune w/ plugs that match new A/F ratio)
>Removal of A/C, all stereo components, replace steering wheel, replace seats, strip badges, find the lighter MY pieces for front/rear fascia-interior door panels, insturment cluster, etc.
>Functional rear spoiler?
>Petition for C-3-4 to be bumped to ASP in '06
>Drive like hell

SM2? Add:
>Super-charger (Existing kit or piece built? Roots?)
>2 way cable type LSD?
> Carbon fiber hood? Any lighter? Venting engine bay a plus?
>? Educate me...

FP? Add (& delete):
> No S/C, but custom made pistons, rods, cams, retainers, valves, springs
> Port & polish, shave head, extrude honed intake manifold
> Dry sump system
> Adjustable upper control arms
> True slicks
> Big calipers & rotors - be wary of weight, and have to have 16's fit over 'em
> Pillow ball & metal bushings where applicable
> Custom C.F. drive shaft
> Cryo treated tranny with 4th to 6th gears removed
> Carbon and/or fiberglass doors, 1/4's, trunk & hood
> Fuel cell and Solo 1 rollcage
> Gut it - false headlight/taillight assemblies, entire interior gone, stripped doors, no glass (even windsheild), etc. May be a bitch in the rain.
> VAFC & Data acquisition
> Torque supression device
~ 2150-2200 lbs.?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:17 PM
jzr

Originally Posted by tmorrow,Oct 6 2004, 08:59 PM
Final drive changes bump you to SM2, correct?
Yup. No X-brace allowed in BSP either.

A lot of the stuff you list under FP (adjustable arms and all the drivetrain stuff) is totally legal in SM2. The main differences are SM2 requires a DOT tires, full interior, and you can't relocate suspension pickup points like you can in FP.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Got to quit trusting my memory. I sure thought bolt in final drive gears were OK Did this used to be the rule?

Anyway for this car maybe lower gears are not the way to go, considering the very usable 1st. Maybe give up on avoiding first and just make it even more useable.

So why not run larger tires? 305 or 335/30-18 are 1.2 inch larger diameter than BS tires. (Hoosier spec sheet) They will fit with fender flares. You can handle the 1/2 inch ride height increase with suspension adj. First gear top speed would go up 5% from 42 to 44 and 2nd from 64 to 67 (using oem 2.0 rev limit).

If you can exit the corner faster (same tires, less weight) that offsets accel advantage.

And Corvettes are often grip limited from using full power from slow corners.

And while tires sre heavier, it may be possible to get lighter wheels, since you are no longer stck with factory offset.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:19 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jzr,Oct 6 2004, 01:12 PM
I think the car is more viable in SM2. Ian, How do you think the S2000 would be with a supercharger like Palmblad's Miata?
You might find this funny, But we did a test day in Bob's Miata when I had my S2000 there. It must have been course design, but Every time I ran my S2000 I was faster in it then I was in Bob's miata. (it was a Evo course so we had segment times, Doing an 8000rpm launch in the S2000 Put the S2K and the miata and the vette at exactly the same time in the first segment, which had was very much like a prosolo straight and one corner) Even Bob ran My S2000 for a series of runs and was consistantly faster in the S2000 and not by any small margin. There was even an ASP Z06 at the event that I jumped in. Owner of the vette claimed it was very close to Popp's set up. I ran the vette slightly quicker then the miata, but Still .5 slower then I ran in My S2000. Now this course had NO straights(other then the start), or area's the Miata and the vette could really use their power but every time we ran the Miata and the S2000 back to back the B-Stock S2K was quicker. I realize that doesn't make any Sence at all. But what I'm saying is I think the S2K out Handles the miata. And without a doubt the vette as well. All the car needs is some power (ARE YOU LISTENING HONDA) and it would be a killer SM2 car.

However.... Running a blower like Bob's is going to create 200+ ft/lbs of torque out of vtec. Can we say BLOWN TRANNY/DIF/AXLES. If you can re-enforce that stuff then sure a 25XXlbs S2000 would do very very nicely in SM2. Another car I'd love to try. That Twin Screw Supercharger is very very nice. We could see high boost levels virtually right off idle. I think with the 15lbs pulley we could see 10lbs of boost by 1500rpm or something insanely low like that. No ramp up effect like a turbo or to a lesser degree a eaton or centrfigual blower. The only thing that suffered with the blower was throttle responce. As with any F/I car you have to fill all the intake plumbing with pressure before the engine gets it. So even though the intake track was very short you still had that split second of normal miata power before you got the rush of 280rwhp. It was easy to drive around but when I jumped back in the S2K I found myself going to throttle to early(and praying for more power). Kinda like after you spend time Autoxing an Automatic.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Saini,Oct 6 2004, 07:59 PM
Look back over the past few years' results... BSP has run with, or actually beaten ASP at most events. The fact of the matter is that there is little difference between an ASP Vette and a BSP Vette.
I think more recent results would indicate that the ASP Vette's are clearly faster than the BSP C4's. Either that or you are saying Gary is just that much faster than all the BSP crowd on driving talent alone. While Harold beat Gary on the South course this year, Gary had to run a drying course while BSP saw full dry. On the North course Gary was way ahead. At most other West coast events Gary either beat BSP easily or was in full sandbagging mode at Pros.

-Andy
Old 10-08-2004, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hyper-X,Oct 6 2004, 06:23 PM
Do you guys have any experience with BSP Datsun 240Z's packing 280Z motors? Our region's FTD is dominated by one like this and nobody has been able to touch his times in over several years.

I'm wondering if there are any that show up at the national level with this kind of prep and how well/poorly do they do?
Whoa Jimmy!! You better mod your car some more by next year or you'll never win your class.

JOIN ME IN SM2 NOW!!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never mind, the move to AS is posted elsewhere.