S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ohlins DFV Review

Old 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tcjensen
Yes, they are there to allow the spring to stay perfectly perpendicular to the shock shaft, which should give better performance and enhance the longevity of the seals, etc. Similar to what you get with AST 4150 top hats, & KW Clubsport top hats. I'm having a hard time deciding between AST 4150's, the Ohlin's DFV's, and KW Clubsports. All can be had with springs in the 450-700 lb range, and all can be had with spherical bearing top mounts, and they they are all adjustable, although the Clubsports have independent control over compression. Thing is, is the independent compression adjustment worth taking the NASA TTC hit in points? You only get 20 total to play with before bumping up in class. The AST 4150's with their lack of external reservoirs and single adjustment, cost you much less points ... and may yield the same effective performance when setup right? I also wonder if the Ohlin's DFV fall under "single" adjustable or "double" adjustable, because adjustment changes both compression and rebound. I would assume single adjustable, as I'm guessing the biggest benefit to double is the independent nature of each adjustment.
FYI there is no distinction between 1 and 2 adjusters for NASA, only greater than 2.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
Originally Posted by tcjensen' timestamp='1384378410' post='22875937
Yes, they are there to allow the spring to stay perfectly perpendicular to the shock shaft, which should give better performance and enhance the longevity of the seals, etc. Similar to what you get with AST 4150 top hats, & KW Clubsport top hats. I'm having a hard time deciding between AST 4150's, the Ohlin's DFV's, and KW Clubsports. All can be had with springs in the 450-700 lb range, and all can be had with spherical bearing top mounts, and they they are all adjustable, although the Clubsports have independent control over compression. Thing is, is the independent compression adjustment worth taking the NASA TTC hit in points? You only get 20 total to play with before bumping up in class. The AST 4150's with their lack of external reservoirs and single adjustment, cost you much less points ... and may yield the same effective performance when setup right? I also wonder if the Ohlin's DFV fall under "single" adjustable or "double" adjustable, because adjustment changes both compression and rebound. I would assume single adjustable, as I'm guessing the biggest benefit to double is the independent nature of each adjustment.
FYI there is no distinction between 1 and 2 adjusters for NASA, only greater than 2.
Ah, thank you. I read through that too fast and didn't catch that. Could start with AST's and convert to double-adjustable later on, and still only be a 3 point shock. Nice.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Great review Anatoliy. One of my favorites. Definetly give us some track impressions as you gain track experience. I defiantly have a few track guys out their that love their DFVs over Konis, Tiens & KWs.

BTW, the next Batch of 5 DFVs is coming in December, we bought 4 and pre sold 2 of them already, the 5th is already sold to another company. Let us know if you want one of the last 2 of the year for Christmas. Next Batch is coming in the Spring.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tom153
Hey Andrew, I remembered reading about you waiting for these when I was writing that "notes" section. Several expletives were yelled out after I put the front end back on the ground and realized that I had to redo everything because of those stupid bearings! It really shouldn't be that hard for Ohlins to put sticky labels on the plastic bags (ie. Front springs, Rear springs, Front bearings, Rear bearings, etc.)
Thanks for mentioning this. It was very clear what you meant about the bearing spacers and I was able to spot the difference in the instructions and get my assembled very easily after reading this. The assembly is pretty painless though, just one nut essentially.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/983...t__p__22876505
Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, glad to hear!

Have not been able to really lean on these the past week due to weather, but thanks to Patrick's suggestion, street driving has been a dream! 10 clicks from full soft allows the shocks to completely soak up majority of road imperfections and bumps. With these settings I literally don't feel when I'm driving over the reflectors dividing the lanes. Granted we don't have those massive ones like the guys in Florida do, but still, on Konis and Eibachs it was very noticeable, whereas with these I just hear a little noise. Steering is still very sharp, handling is still great and there's very little squat under heavy braking.