S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

PCI seat mounts with OEM belts?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Default PCI seat mounts with OEM belts?

I'm planning to install a pair of Sparco Pro 2000 seats and am trying to choose mounts. I'll have 6-point harnesses for track, but want to retain the OEM belts for street (mostly to and from the track). I'm looking at the PCI mounts since they have good reviews, and they make complete adjustable mounts that (apparently) don't need modification. (I'm 5'8", so don't need to get crazy low. An inch or so lower than stock would be perfect.)

Thinking I'll get the sliding mount for driver's side, to allow for co-drivers, and the fixed adjustable mount for passenger side. (I can't think of any reason why passengers would need to move their seat?)

I'm wondering whether this setup will accommodate the OEM belts though. Does anyone have any input on that? Would also like to keep the passenger airbag system working.. somehow.. which apparently involves either re-using the OEM rails and somehow hacking them onto the aftermarket seat, or moving all the sensors over to the aftermarket mount.

So -

Does anyone have experience using the PCI mounts with OEM belts as well as harnesses? Ideally with the airbags working?
Or, are there other mounts/rails you'd recommend for this setup? Thanks.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I am running the PCI fixed mount on the drivers side.

Yes, you can run the stock belt with them (there is a hole on the mount that bolts to the chassis). The fixed mount will drop you about an inch over stock, but depending on your inseam (I am 5'8" / 30" inseam) and seat (I have a Sparco Evo) you're going to need to run the seat all the way forward, and even then it's not perfect. You're going to need to get an allen head bolt for the front right chassis mount bolt, along with an allen bit and bit ratchet (I can supply a picture of this, if needed), along with some mount clearancing to get the bolt in.

I have not yet installed my 6pt harness, but I do not plan to use the holes built into the mount for it since the sub mount points are not in an optimal position (too far back). I'll be mounting the sub and lap belts to the chassis using these: Racing Harness/Seat Belt Mounting Back Plate Backing, Eyelet Plates (x6 Pieces) | eBay

You're going to need to run a Mazda 626 rear seatbelt receptacle from a 93-97 (if you're an AP1, this will not work for AP2) and something that no one tells you... this shit isn't safe (imo), the seatbelt does not ride properly on your hips and you are losing a solid INCH of hip room in the seat by bringing the receptacle in through the side hole. I would not run a passenger seat like this due to mental / personal liability. Do NOT attempt to run the seatbelt up over the bolsters unless you want to die in the footwell of your car.

Another thing, the rollbars that replace the stock bulkhead bar and provide mounts for the OEM seatbelt reels leave the belts in a bad angle. The reels don't have enough tension to retract and aren't the best at staying tight. You need to get in, buckle the belt, feed the belt back over your shoulder, and pull it tight.

As always, there is more to this stuff than anyone really talks about. There is a reason that tracked cars become track-only cars, and it's not just because the owners get tired of dealing with it on a daily basis.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chibo
I am running the PCI fixed mount on the drivers side.

Yes, you can run the stock belt with them (there is a hole on the mount that bolts to the chassis). The fixed mount will drop you about an inch over stock, but depending on your inseam (I am 5'8" / 30" inseam) and seat (I have a Sparco Evo) you're going to need to run the seat all the way forward, and even then it's not perfect. You're going to need to get an allen head bolt for the front right chassis mount bolt, along with an allen bit and bit ratchet (I can supply a picture of this, if needed), along with some mount clearancing to get the bolt in.

You're going to need to run a Mazda 626 rear seatbelt receptacle from a 93-97 (if you're an AP1, this will not work for AP2) and something that no one tells you... this shit isn't safe (imo), the seatbelt does not ride properly on your hips and you are losing a solid INCH of hip room in the seat by bringing the receptacle in through the side hole. I would not run a passenger seat like this due to mental / personal liability. Do NOT attempt to run the seatbelt up over the bolsters.

I have not yet installed my 6pt harness, but I do not plan to use the holes built into the mount for it since the sub mount points are not in an optimal position (too far back). I'll be mounting the sub and lap belts to the chassis using these: Racing Harness/Seat Belt Mounting Back Plate Backing, Eyelet Plates (x6 Pieces) eBay

As always, there is more to this stuff than anyone really talks about.
Thanks for the info. My dimensions are identical to yours. I wonder if the sliding driver's mount would let me get further forward. Also I'm in an AP2 (2006), so that may make a difference.

For OEM belts, I agree that running the receptacle through the harness hole isn't great. There are two alternatives I've read about that sound better. One is to (somehow) mount the receptacle just below the harness hole on the outside, then thread the buckle through the hole. That way it rides snug without the issue you mentioned. Not sure if that's possible int his car though. The other option if you have both harnesses and a 3 point belt would be to use the lap belt from the harness, then buckle the 3 point belt over it. (Going over the seat on the buckle side, rather than through the hole.) So the lap belt would hold you snug in the seat, and you would have the shoulder belt from the 3 point for your upper body, as usual. This should be at least as safe as running the oem belt, and doesn't have the neck risk of running a full 6 point without helmet and hans.

Another thing I've read is that the Acura Integra receptacle can be used, since it's straight, whereas the S2000 one apparently has a bend.

Still need to determine the best way to retain the passenger airbag though, since I wouldn't want to run 3-point belts without those.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I think your first belt option would be difficult, but I guess it depends on your seat. The holes in the side of the Evo are low so it would be a gigantic pain to get the belt in there (nevermind that the stock belt doesn't physically fit through the hole). That was my original plan
Old 08-15-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys one thing many people don't realize is that oem seatbelts are not designed to work with an aftermarket fixed back racing seat in the event of a crash. The asymmetrical layout of the OEM seatbelt is designed to work with the OEM seats which actually rotate inward in a crash and work in concert with the airbags. I have been told by many it is not safe to run oem belts with aftermarket seats. I am not trying to act like I'm "holier than thou" here as I did this very thing myself for years before I knew--so please don't take it that way. I just want people to be aware as it is something that impacts safety! You can make your own choices with a clear understanding of the facts.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Snowmants
Guys one thing many people don't realize is that oem seatbelts are not designed to work with an aftermarket fixed back racing seat in the event of a crash. The asymmetrical layout of the OEM seatbelt is designed to work with the OEM seats which actually rotate inward in a crash and work in concert with the airbags. I have been told by many it is not safe to run oem belts with aftermarket seats. I am not trying to act like I'm "holier than thou" here as I did this very thing myself for years before I knew--so please don't take it that way. I just want people to be aware as it is something that impacts safety! You can make your own choices with a clear understanding of the facts.
My thinking is, you're never going to have a car that's optimally safe on both track and street. For me, this is not a daily driver; it's a track and autocross car that I want to be able to drive to and from events. So track safety is what I want to maximize, while remaining as safe as possible on the street. Therefore, I'm going to have a roll bar (not cage) and racing seats with harnesses. Then the question is how to remain as safe as possible on the street with those changes. I could wear the harness, but wearing a harness without hans can be dangerous. (As I'm sure you know, allowing only the head to snap forward can cause a basal skull fracture, which is basically why hans devices exist. Perhaps less of an issue without the weight of a helmet, but still not ideal.) Also visibility is limited due to loss of movement. ISTM that a 3-point (properly positioned on hips and chest) with air bags should be safer in most situations. I can certainly believe that 3-point with OEM seats could be safer, but that's not an option in my case.