S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Racing Brake vented rear BBK

Old 11-01-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver9k,Nov 1 2010, 09:09 AM
Also as for your front kit, you were running the RB BBK right? I really appreciate the data you are taking for this. Good stuff.
for the previous test, i was using OEM front caliper and rotor. i think most people who purchase the +1 rear bbk will still have OEM front caliper, that's why i tested with OEM front caliper.

the RB front BBK will arrive this week and i will test with them this weekend at Summit Point.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Orpheus,Nov 1 2010, 09:55 AM
a little different question: i noticed last time while bleeding my brakes that the rear calipers have CRAZY flex. truly amazed me how much the caliper would move around as the pedal is pressed harder--it flexes so much that it looks like it might break by fatigue. so.... while rb is at this, is there any possible way they can reinforce the oem caliper? it appears to be flexing where the outer bracket meets the piston bracket, at those sliding screws. can't think of any way to fix this, but figure i'd just ask.
the caliper will move around because that's the design of a floating caliper. the caliper only has one piston, so it has to move freely to distribute even force on both side, and i don't mean just move side to side. the only job the caliper has to do is squeeze the pad into the rotor. the pad sitting on the bracket is what stops the car. if the bracket flex, then you have problems.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hondaf1,Nov 1 2010, 02:36 PM
the caliper will move around because that's the design of a floating caliper. the caliper only has one piston, so it has to move freely to distribute even force on both side, and i don't mean just move side to side. the only job the caliper has to do is squeeze the pad into the rotor. the pad sitting on the bracket is what stops the car. if the bracket flex, then you have problems.
hi, i understand it floats and is supposed to move in the horizontal plane. however, you can see for yourself--when you press hard on the pedal, the whole assembly will deflect. sorry, i dunno the proper terms for these parts, but to me there is the "bracket" that is connected to the suspension, and the "assembly" that holds the pistons (my made-up terminology). as the piston pushes, the assembly will push upwards, and quite noticeably. the bracket stays put. i do not think it's broken, just weak. it pushes upwards because the only things holding it horizontal are the screws/tubes connecting it to the bracket. when those screws or tubes bend, as more pressure is exerted by the piston against the rotor, the only way for the assembly to move is upwards. if you test, you'll see what i mean. i would think that this deflection would noticeably affect the feel of the brake pedal.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 PM

i know what you mean and i've seen it before. the caliper's job is just to squeeze the pads together. that's by it mounted to the sliding pin with two tiny screws. because the caliper is not fixed and move around so much, that's why you get tapering of pads sometime.

even with the deflect of the caliper, the brake feel fine to me because it was design that way. when i had my Evo, the brake didn't feel any better with fixed calipers.

the thing that mostly effect the feel of the brake is pads and air in brake line.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:32 PM

picture from NJMP this past weekend.

this is what the RB rear +1 BBK looks like compare to the OEM front brakes

Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for front BBK pics and review
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 AM

front BBK being tested at Summit Point WV today
Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when will the front bbk be available?
Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 AM

Font BBK, rear +1 and +2 BBK will all be available at the same time. should be before the end of the of year.

i'm post a review on the front BBK and post some pics soon.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PM'd you awhile ago. Don't know if questions I asked were ignorant or not. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Racing Brake vented rear BBK