S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Roll Center/ Bump Steer

Old 11-18-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roll Center/ Bump Steer

Hi
I have a few questions that I was hoping you could help me with. I drive an AP1 equipped with KW V3s and a rear bumpsteer kit.

In reguards to the roll center kit from J's Racing, do you have any fear that its exerting too much stress on the ball joints?

Secondly, in reguards to the upper control arms, do you think its not a good idea to change those out with an adjustable type like GFL which allow camber adjustability and limit camber loss during cornering.

Thanx in advance for your input.

Dino
Old 11-18-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing some back-of-the-envelope engineering (educated guessing) tells me that the roll center kit from J's racing won't impose much more than the normal stock loads in the ball joints. Now that the vertical separation of the outboard ball joints has increased (that's what the kit does) the same cornering load through the tire will lead to smaller reaction loads in the ball joints and a-arms. The roll center adjuster does create a longer moment arm, but the loads will not be much more than stock and people on the forum here can chime in about their experience, I have never heard of any failures.

I have no experience with the GFL upper control arms, but they sound like a good investment if you're looking to get the most out of the s2000. Though, if they limit camber loss during cornering that usually means they raise the roll center, so in conjunction with the J's Racing roll center adjustment, you may have too much roll center movement...but you'll have to try it out to see.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:55 PM

i wouldn't do the upper control arms and roll center adjusters only because i dont see it being needed. the rca's give you a very large range of camber.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanx for the input. I was just wondering because im running -1.5 up front with a 235. I have lots of tire/fender clearence, but under long sweeping right handers the front rubs against the fender which led me to believe that there is a lot of camber loss with the stock control arm bushings. So i see GFL control arms as solution to camber loss rather than just plain old camber adjustability. Maybe I should just concider solid bushings with the factory control arms.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:37 PM

i guess it would depend then on just how much adjustability you would like. i see factory control arms with solid or stiffer bushings being a nice option. but that's mainly because i see it simpler that way. its one less thign to adjust.