S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

seat belts vs harness

Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman13
That makes the install and routing of the harnesses immensely annoying. Plus you're going to have issues mounting the inboard harness with the buckle in place.

I do 2 hour drives to summit point and NJMP and 4.5 hour drives to VIR wearing harnesses without issue. If you really have a concern about it, buy Schroth Profi ASM harnesses. You can still add the crotch strap to them, and the breakaway portion will allow your body to move in a crash and let the airbag do its thing.

If it's about parking lot speeds, I just loosen the shoulder straps while I'm in a lot so i can look around better and tighten them back up when I'm on a main road.
I have my inboard lap belt mounted to a Scroth low profile eyelet so it's not too bad. But my outboard lap belt's eyelet is on the stock belt bolt so that would be the pain for me. Plus I'd still want my airbag. I guess either way we do it, there's going to be some level of annoyance, we just choose when we most prefer to be annoyed.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thomsbrain,

How do you have your outboard lap belt secured? I'm using one of these with clip in hardware on the harness:

I figure if schroth says it's ok for mounting I think it's safe enough. I could never get an eye bolt to fit outboard with the BC rails in place , it stuck out too far and interfered with the slider
Old 04-14-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JB34
So Duffman...I took your lead and made a call to Corbeau yesterday. They informed me that many of their seats (including your FX1) is compatible with stock seat belts for street driving. I'm curious why you need to swap it out rather than simply replacing the stock seats? Ingress and egress issues? I also noticed that their Forza Sport is FIA approved and they tell me is should fit our cars too. See any problems with that seat?
I just ordered this seat (Corbeau Forza Sport) after sitting in one on Tuesday at my track day with Track Night in America. It fit perfectly in an AP2 (no rubbing on door, and retain use of center console and secret compartment) and it also fit me as well (similar fitment to the EVO2 US). I went ahead and also ordered the Corbeau specific S2000 seat bracket with the dual locking slider option. I'll post a review of the seat once I receive it, I know it will be heavier than some of the high $ JDM seats (steel construction vs FRP/Kevlar/CF) but for the price and FIA certification, it can't be touched.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

A few reasons:

1. Ingress and egress is annoying with the buckets - they're high on the sides so you end up essentially falling into the car. It's super annoying with the top up. For the record, the Corbeaus have fairly low thigh bolsters too compared to some other options.
2. The shoulder wings limit mobility within the vehicle for me (I lift enough that I'm wide up there).
3. There really isn't enough room to run the inboard strap and the seat belt receptacle simultaneously, and if you do the routing on the lower part of the lap belt as well it interferes with the ourboard lap belt strap too. That would mean any time you want to use harnesses, you would have to pull the seats , remove the receptacle, and route the lap belts anytime you want to use the harnesses.
4. The last part is cosmetic - my wife hates sitting in the buckets, and I hate the way the car looks with mismatched seats, so I do what I think looks nicer.
How much lower do you sit than the stock seats?
Old 04-17-2017, 09:03 AM

depends on the mount. The BC rail adjuster hits the front bottom lip of the seat so you can't put it on the lowest hole. In the middle one I'm still at least an inch or so lower than stock.
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

thomsbrain,

How do you have your outboard lap belt secured? I'm using one of these with clip in hardware on the harness:

I figure if schroth says it's ok for mounting I think it's safe enough. I could never get an eye bolt to fit outboard with the BC rails in place , it stuck out too far and interfered with the slider
Yeah, I use one of those for the outboard lap belt with clip-in hardware, too. It's attached to the car with my stock belt bolt. Do you attach to a different bolt location?

I want to say I used one of those for the inboard location, too (with a backing plate on the transmission tunnel).
Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 AM

I was asking because I didn't know if you managed to get an eye bolt on the outboard. I am using an eye bolt in the inboard side.