S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Should I be posting in R&C?

Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Apr 17 2007, 03:09 PM
I need a list of all the other posters here so I can get the checks sent.
Do you guys accept IOU's?
You can send everybody else's money to me too -- I'll get it to them the next time I see them.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Apr 17 2007, 12:57 PM
Damn the old guy has way more skills! Good job scaring the shit out of your camera "person" tho.
Ryan (the younger guy) didn't actually scare the sh** out of Jamey. He stopped a few feet from where Jamey (the camera operator) was standing, just as he intended.

Yea, I have been known to burn the last bit of rubber off a set of tires before replacing them, and I do lots of other things with the car (with all our cars) that have nothing to do with racing or autocrossing. We also show the car and I do a little drifting once in a while. Thankfully we are getting to the heart of my original question before the thread is locked.

The simple fact of the matter is that I believe that I play with my toy (S2000) in ways that are quite different from most of the people here, and I don't know how that will be received here on the R&C forum. I don't have particularly thick skin, so I guess I have to decide for myself whether or not I can take the flack that some will give me for things I enjoy doing with my car. It doesn't bother me at all that the local PCA has dubbed me "the world's oldest ricer," because they know me and have to deal with me at every one of their autocrosses (and we all know who's going to be getting the best times), but it's different here where people don't know me from Adam and will jump to all sorts of eroneous conclusions simply because I do some things with my car that they'd never do.

Crashtest, thanks for posting the link. I take it that you disapprove, but you've actually helped us get to the heart of this matter. Do you feel that "idiots" who do donuts and autocross on OEM tires are for some reason less serous about their motorsports than you are? Certianly nobody who has ever won a first place at an HIN show can't be serious about performance, right? If that is the kind of thinking that dominates here then it is a given that I won't fit in, because I have way too much fun with my car to restrict myself to a few forum approved activities. All I'm trying to figure out how the majority feels about such things, and I don't think the answer is in the archives. At least I could not find anything like the situation I'm asking about here. Maybe I missed it, but if so, I'll just blame the search engine.

As for the old guy having way more skills, the old guy is me, and at the time I believe that was true. Ryan has made massive improvements in his autocrossing skills since then and has become a formatible competitor (in XP). I'd never even consider sliding the car toward someone the way Ryan did, but I know for a fact that he knew exactly where the car would stop. I just don't do that kind of thing. Never scare bystanders or passengers. (Though I did scare the poop out of our RE at one of our autocrosses, because she thought I was going to slide over the pit wall and land on top of her F440, which she was sitting in at the time. In reality it wasn't even a close call, but it did scare here and a few other observers.)

So the quesiton is still somewhat open. Does an old guy who enjoys his S2000 in a wide virety of ways in addition to autocrossing, some of which some object to strongly, have any business posting in the R&C forum, or are too many of the guys here too tight assed to put up with anything less than a total dedicatin to racing or autocrossing at the expense of everything else.

If this has been discussed before, in the same light, would somebody please post a link before the mods lock the thread?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm still unsure about it, but most of you have been supportive, so unless I'm told otherwise I guess I'll stick around and see how much flack I have to take. Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally don't understand the problem. I autocross on R tires, I autocross on street tires. Sometimes I autocross something other than an S2000. If you've got something to say or ask that is autocross or racing related, this is the place to post it. If you want to post about kittens or how to slam your car to the ground for the show, post in the forums about kittens or show cars. I hope that makes sense to everyone.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like you I don't care what anybody says.
your ok in my book
Just the right amount of sarcasm and seriousness.

as for the video its not that I didn't like it and I have been known to spin a few (hundred) Dog'Nuts in my time.

as for you question I really have no answer for you.

I think that is really because I don't really know what you are asking?
are you asking if its ok for you to run street tires?
or are you asking if you should run R compound
Old 04-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SpeedVentures has put on some tire-melting donut shows and competition at previous track events (at SOW using the skid pad), so some of us would be lying if we said we never do donuts , though I've never done donuts myself. I only drive my S on the street within the speed limits, and I post here a lot in this forum .

Seriously, as long as the discussion is about auto-x or tracking or hillclimb etc. (even with a wheelbarrow) we're good. And of course we never, ever, ever stray off topic or these guidelines on this forum .
Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 PM

Since this thread isn't about autocrossing or other competition then it probably should be locked.

CCR shows our cars to promote the business. Our all out autocross Miata won first in class at the Supershow right alongside my S2000. In fact, our Miata's took all three of the trophies in their class, and none of them are what most people consider to be show cars. The bling boys get upset when a car on stock rims and tires with no body work takes their trophies, but the judges know a neat car when they see one, even if it's not a riced out POS.

There is no good reason to see participation is shows as being in conflict with participation in any other form of motorsports. The shows include serious drag cars, drift cars, and cars from every other form of motorsports, and participation in the shows has no bearing on participation in the other venues.

Now, would the moderators please lock the thread. I've given eveyone a shot at the odd stuff I do with my car and survived, so my quesiton has been answered.

Sorry to have started a thread that is outside the forum guidelines, but I really needed an answer, and I just couldn't get it by posting my quesion in one of the other forums.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by krazik,Apr 17 2007, 08:47 AM
applying a little more. maybe it'll hold this time.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Next time use red