S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Str brake pads

Old 09-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dtc-30 Pads work great In the front however there is a lot of scoring on the rotors and so much break dust my silver rpf1 are almost black after one event (8 runs around 71 sec with speeds at 70) the rear hp+ may of been working to well comeing into the slolum at 70 the rear would get loose may try the hps in the rear next event to see if that helps
Old 09-12-2015, 06:52 PM

I love my Cobalt Friction. I run XR2 Front and XR3 Rear.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really liked the Ferodo DS2500 with last year's tires - dust wasn't bad, pedal modulation was great, and they could lock up the tires of an STR car without a ridiculous amount of effort.

But, now on the re-71r on high grip surfaces I feel they don't quite have enough oomph anymore. I tried the new hawk street/race which is supposedly a DTC-30 compound but chamfered for less noise on DavidNJ's BS car and I was blown away by how hard they brake, and they still seemed easy to modulate. Dust looked totally ridiculous though...but I can live with that. I think I'm going to be going with a set with my Hawk winnings from the finale.

I personally hate HP+ because they have too much initial bite, and can be a bit unpredictable. Just a light brush of the brake pedal when they're heated up puts you through the windshield. I like to do lots of very light touches on the brake so they don't work for my driving style. And I would think having those in the rear with the DTC-30 in front would do some very odd things like locking up the rear under moderate braking. I would swap those out either for DTC-30 or even put the HPS back in just in the rear.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
I really liked the Ferodo DS2500 with last year's tires - dust wasn't bad, pedal modulation was great, and they could lock up the tires of an STR car without a ridiculous amount of effort.

But, now on the re-71r on high grip surfaces I feel they don't quite have enough oomph anymore. I tried the new hawk street/race which is supposedly a DTC-30 compound but chamfered for less noise on DavidNJ's BS car and I was blown away by how hard they brake, and they still seemed easy to modulate. Dust looked totally ridiculous though...but I can live with that. I think I'm going to be going with a set with my Hawk winnings from the finale.

I personally hate HP+ because they have too much initial bite, and can be a bit unpredictable. Just a light brush of the brake pedal when they're heated up puts you through the windshield. I like to do lots of very light touches on the brake so they don't work for my driving style. And I would think having those in the rear with the DTC-30 in front would do some very odd things like locking up the rear under moderate braking. I would swap those out either for DTC-30 or even put the HPS back in just in the rear.

That may be the plan for the next auto x is to try the hps in the rear with the dtc30 in the front
Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

are the DS2500 non corrosive???
Old 10-18-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

There is a lot of brake dust with Hawk Street Racer pads (after 21 runs and maybe 150 street miles):

It outlines the numbers on the side of the car (after 16 runs, 2 drivers 8 runs each):

Next weekend I need to investigate four things:
  1. One of the workers during on last session told me "fire" was coming from the left front brake.
  2. On the way home there was an occasional brake squeal...first time.
  3. The rotors (new in August) have enough wear for a significant ridge at the edge. I'll measure it when the wheels are off.
  4. There is some dust that seemed baked on the wheels the last time I cleaned them. I've been told P21 may take it off, and googling around Cascade Platinum dish soap has been recommended. This is a not uncommon Hawk competition pad problem.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, that amount dust is normal for those pads. I got into the habit of cleaning the wheels after every event with standard soap and water and didn't notice any significant dust baked on, but I also had aftermarket wheels with a smooth finish that were already a darker color.

As for your other concerns, some pads will throw sparks which is probably what the worker was describing. I know some Carbotech pads do this, and though no one ever mentioned that I was throwing sparks with DTC-30's it wouldn't surprise me if they did as well. I had occasional squeal from them but nothing abnormal for such aggressive pads. These pads are a bit rough on rotors but even so that wear does seem excessive. Post the measurements when you have them as I will be curious to see what the change is.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've been used Chemical Guys (my go to for detailing stuff) Sticky Gel Citrus wheel cleaner diluted 6:1 or 3:1 after every event...just missed it this last weak. It worked well before, although a wipe with a cloth was usually necessary to clear everything away. They said on the phone their Signature wheel cleaner may deal with the more corrosive brake dust better. All reasonably priced and pH neutral.

The brake felt fine at the event and on the drive home.