S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

track day apps

Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

well this was very productive thank you fellas! but i take it most of you drive on big road courses? i wonder how these devices/apps will work in auto X? anyone tried it in that setting?

time to do some comparisons with price points and ease of use.

s2000ellier i cant see the video since im at work.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

the failure i think of using a smart phone for datalogging is the slow GPS. typically its 1Ghz so you get 1 measurement per second which sucks but trackmaster and other apps probably support external bluetooth enabled GPSs but at that point you might want to just buy some dedicated device like AIM Solo or something.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing for the iPhone ?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by iloveclassics88
nothing for the iPhone ?
From a few posts up: "Harry timer is for apple and track master is for android"

FWIW, Harry's lap timer looks to be coming to android devices. If you goto their website you'll see they'll be starting testing soon. Hopefully by the end of summer the production version will be released.. I'm not sure how Harry's lap timer compares to trackmaster, but Harry's lap timer definitely looks slick. I'll have to take a look at trackmaster as I have an android phone.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
the failure i think of using a smart phone for datalogging is the slow GPS. typically its 1Ghz so you get 1 measurement per second which sucks but trackmaster and other apps probably support external bluetooth enabled GPSs but at that point you might want to just buy some dedicated device like AIM Solo or something.
1 Hz, not Ghz. But yes, 1 measurement per second, plus data averaging between actual measured points based on acceleration forces. It works fine for a big track where the start/stop in on a big straight, but I suspect on auto-x you would want to use a bluetooth GPS for greater accuracy.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by iloveclassics88' timestamp='1370462501' post='22588903
nothing for the iPhone ?
From a few posts up: "Harry timer is for apple and track master is for android"

FWIW, Harry's lap timer looks to be coming to android devices. If you goto their website you'll see they'll be starting testing soon. Hopefully by the end of summer the production version will be released.. I'm not sure how Harry's lap timer compares to trackmaster, but Harry's lap timer definitely looks slick. I'll have to take a look at trackmaster as I have an android phone.

Thanks for that info. Guess I overlooked it. I'm going to download it now and check it out. these apps sound clever !

I will stay in tune for trackmaster for IPhone.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Originally Posted by s2000ellier' timestamp='1370461323' post='22588863
1 Hz, not Ghz. But yes, 1 measurement per second, plus data averaging between actual measured points based on acceleration forces. It works fine for a big track where the start/stop in on a big straight, but I suspect on auto-x you would want to use a bluetooth GPS for greater accuracy.
1Hz will not catch quick corrections, bumps, etc. This is why we all use standalone units

The external GPS helps a lot, but the connection is spotty.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 PM

I get very good results using my phone (android), RaceChrono and a Qstarz 10hz external GPS module. Connects to phone via bluetooth.

very reliable, quick and easy. Get pretty good data out of it too.

I found 1Hz useless on tracks. I was getting laptime variations in the order of 3-4 seconds for laps of similar times (following another guy with better logging).
Old 06-06-2013, 04:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

from the provided information, greater accuracy is achieved with the stand alone systems mentioned. Qstarz looks nice and easy to work with. plus its on amazon. thank you all for all the great responses.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 AM

I also use trackmaster and it seems to be a very good app. times are usually dead on the money but yea data is usually off due to it only being per second but hey for 6 dollar app who cares right

Quick Reply: track day apps