S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wheel Weight Differences

Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think the GRM test really proves anything more than there is a small ass difference. 1 test is hardly a big enough sample size.

For the average guy it doesn't matter.

For the people who actual win National events then of course buy the best equipment you can because your competitor surely will.

But the average Joe's money is probably better spent elsewhere.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by korinfox
Key part being that the lighter Enkei wheels were slower, which isn't expected at all! Sure, if they were a tenth faster, that tenth decides jackets at the national level, but they were slower.
Well, the difference was less than a tenth of a second -- well within the margin of error in this kind of experiment.

A car will accelerate faster on lighter wheels -- that's not opinion, but rather simple physics. Whether that will translate into a repeatable difference in lap times is obviously more ambiguous. Having said that a) all things being equal, I doubt you'll find many racers who will intentionally opt for a heavier wheel, but b) the original poster is doing non-competitive track days, and should thus probably just go for the wheel that looks better.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
the original poster is doing non-competitive track days, and should thus probably just go for the wheel that looks better.
That is what matters most! lol
Old 12-09-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 571 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
Originally Posted by PedalFaster' timestamp='1418154957' post='23431869
the original poster is doing non-competitive track days, and should thus probably just go for the wheel that looks better.
I'd go with the stronger wheel, which is likely the spoon wheel. RPF1s might as well be made out of glass...

That said, RPF1s will be easier to replace if they get damaged.

I'd go with a completely different wheel - like the Enkei Kojin. About as heavy as the Spoon wheel, but stronger than the RPF1, and replaceable in the event that you do damage them.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was an old post on a thread (I have no idea which) that showed these Enkei wheels (or similar model) flexing under track driving loads. They pointed a cam at the wheel and showed it in slow motion. They concluded the heavier wheel (I think it was another Enkei--NT03+M) was better for track. I believe it was a Japanese video.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitt
There was an old post on a thread (I have no idea which) that showed these Enkei wheels (or similar model) flexing under track driving loads. They pointed a cam at the wheel and showed it in slow motion. They concluded the heavier wheel (I think it was another Enkei--NT03+M) was better for track. I believe it was a Japanese video.
I remember seeing this video. My takeaway was that wheel strength matters more than weight for wide wheels. For narrow wheels it's not as important.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I would be very interested in seeing that because I have read all good things about RPF1s and I run them, so if there were an issue with potential failure I would like to know.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by korinfox' timestamp='1418149125' post='23431762
Key part being that the lighter Enkei wheels were slower, which isn't expected at all! Sure, if they were a tenth faster, that tenth decides jackets at the national level, but they were slower.
Well, the difference was less than a tenth of a second -- well within the margin of error in this kind of experiment.

A car will accelerate faster on lighter wheels -- that's not opinion, but rather simple physics. Whether that will translate into a repeatable difference in lap times is obviously more ambiguous. Having said that a) all things being equal, I doubt you'll find many racers who will intentionally opt for a heavier wheel, but b) the original poster is doing non-competitive track days, and should thus probably just go for the wheel that looks better.
I agree with you, somehow I couldn't just believe and get over the stats the magazine provided.
I remember back then I shaved around 0.2 seconds off in a quarter mile not using my rota track-R's lol. Dunno what happened other than different wheel weight lol; might be the racing number stickers, who knows?

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
Yep that's right if they're not very different, I've never really cared much about wheel weight, I don't plan being serious on the track anyways. I was just wondering whether my car would lose torque due to heavier wheels. Don't wanna waste my money on something I'd end up regretting.

Surprises me, I've never thought that Enkei made wheels that actually flex during track driving condition. Honestly they're known for none other than being lightweight and cheaper alternative.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by korinfox' timestamp='1418149125' post='23431762

Yup, I agree. For the GRM test, the time difference caused by the wheel weights was likely masked by test variability, which in an autocross could be quite large.

I'd go with the RPF1s, not because of the weight necessarily, but because:

1. they're a square setup, so if your tires are also square, you can rotate them for better wear
2. They're not discontinued, so if you wreck one, you can replace it easily

Then again if you like the Spoon wheels more, then go for them! Style points do count
Old 12-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by korinfox
[quote name='korinfox' timestamp='1418149125' post='23431762']Key part being that the lighter Enkei wheels were slower, which isn't expected at all! Sure, if they were a tenth faster, that tenth decides jackets at the national level, but they were slower.

Yup, I agree. For the GRM test, the time difference caused by the wheel weights was likely masked by test variability, which in an autocross could be quite large.

I'd go with the RPF1s, not because of the weight necessarily, but because:

1. they're a square setup, so if your tires are also square, you can rotate them for better wear
2. They're not discontinued, so if you wreck one, you can replace it easily

Then again if you like the Spoon wheels more, then go for them! Style points do count
[/quote]

Yeah that totally makes sense to me. If it's not making significant difference, I'll just go get the style points

Quick Reply: Wheel Weight Differences