S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Who runs rear brake ducts?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 PM
kap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who runs rear brake ducts?

First off, I know we have a brake/suspension section, but I thought this question would be more appropriate here. Second, I already googled what seems like something that may have been discussed and beat to death 100 times, but I wasn't able to find anything too colorful like the front duct discussions.

So, who runs rear brake ducts? For those who do, do you see any significant gains? And for those who don't, do you notice accelerated rear pad loss?

I'm about to create ducting for my front pads, and was wondering if I should bother doing the same for the rears.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 564 Likes on 395 Posts

if you have the time, it's likely worth it for saving your rear wheel bearings more so than for pad/rotor life.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/949...brake-ducting/
Old 05-12-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My non ducted fronts were lasting me about 3 weekends or 6 track days. My rears were lasting at least through 2 front pads. But I basically swap them out every other time I do fronts. Once I ducted the front, I got almost 1:1 wear ratio between front to rear it's about. Also I didn't bother ducting the rear since it's not a vented rotor I figure I can't even pump the air into the center for the veins to pump out so what's the point of having only half the rotor cooled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I noticed significant te,p change but its good for the hub

Blowing air on it won't hurt IMHO
Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I burn through pads pretty fast. Before ducting, I was getting about 3 days out of a set of pads all the way around. After front ducts, I was getting about 5 days on fronts and 3 or 4 on rears. I recently added rear ducts and only have one day since then but just based on that one day, it looks like the rear pads will last longer. Compared to front ducting the rears are super easy to add so I would suggest to just do it.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Since I have been tracking on the same rear pads and rotors for years, I didn't think I needed rear ducting.

After seeing how much it is going to cost me to replace my bearings and hubs, I definitely think I need rear ducting.

I think I'm gonna experiment with a variety of the "ghetto duct" that was posted a while back.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
Since I have been tracking on the same rear pads and rotors for years, I didn't think I needed rear ducting.

After seeing how much it is going to cost me to replace my bearings and hubs, I definitely think I need rear ducting.

I think I'm gonna experiment with a variety of the "ghetto duct" that was posted a while back.
Tracking on the same pads for years? Something is wrong with this equation?
Old 05-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Originally Posted by thomsbrain' timestamp='1400007839' post='23158245

In 12-15 track days, I've been through 3 sets of front pads (2 XP10, 1 PF11), 2-3 sets of front rotors and still have maybe 40% of my original rears left (XP8) and no cracks on the rear rotors. Part of that is likely that I was running RS3's up front and Z1SS on the rear (I'm broke and it's what I had), so when the tires got hot, the rears went greasy and had less grip. YMMV.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

i used the extra hose from my front ducts to just plum a hose from under the car to the rear wheel hubs
Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Depends on the track/tracks being driven. I went to Gateway in St. Louis this year and then measured my pad wear afterwards. There was extremely low wear from that event. I'm sure if that's the only track I ran, I could have pads last a very long time. However, other tracks in my area are much harder on brakes so they more than make up for running at Gateway.

Quick Reply: Who runs rear brake ducts?