S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

me and my buddies BPU WRX

Old 05-12-2002, 10:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default me and my buddies BPU WRX

I don't think I've ever posted a new topic on the street encounters thread but I thought this was worth it.

A good friend of mine, Rob, has a pretty sweet WRX. It's got the basic intake and exhaust, downpipe, turbo timer and boost controler and an upgraded turbo. I'm not sure which turbo in particular he's running but I know it's quite an upgrade from stock. He peaks at about 20 pounds and settles out around 18 right now. It's pretty quick.
I have no problem admitting that from a dead stop he would light me up bad. I'm pretty sure the car's capable of a 13 flat in the 1/4.
We were coming back from a little import get together last night and some kids in a mustang wanted to run. Well we ran him (we were on the interstate and ran from about 60), we beat him, and we went about our business. The thing that got me was that I felt like I was pulling on Rob a little bit too. Now he got the jump on me abd started to pull away but right at about 75 I started pulling up on him.
Later that night at the party I told him I'd like to run from around 60 on the interstate just for curiosity. Well that nite, or should I say this morning, we left the party and got up on the interstate. It was about 4:30 am and there wasn't any traffic so I figured now was as good a time as any. I pulled up along side of him gave the 1,2,3 and we were off. I think I got a little bit of a jump on him this time but not much. From what I heard we both got on it at the same time. Maybe it was a little turbo lag or something. Through 3rd gear it was pretty close, I pulled maybe a quarter car length, into 4th I streched it out to about a car. His headlights were on my back bumper pretty much. Shifted into 5th and I finally saw him in my mirror just a little bit. By this time I figured 7500 rpms in fifth gear was enough speed for the street. Racing like that I think is kinda stupid anyway but I had to find out. So the final turnout is I beat him (barely). I'm pretty impressed with how this thing runs above 50 or 60 mph. we slowed down, he gave me the thumbs up and we both went home.
I know this isn't a spectacular story. I'm not claiming to beat a twin turbo Z-06 like some people. I'm kind of a realist I think. To me, I was impressed. I love my little S2000.

BTW when I can afford another nice car in addition to the S. It's gonna be a WRX. What an amazing little car
Old 05-13-2002, 03:21 AM

WRX is great 0-60 since they benefit from AWD but these things have no top end.
You can blame the poor aerodynamics and gearing.

WRX with boost upgrade and other bolt ons that run low 13's in 1/4 trap barely@100mph.

Good race!
Old 05-13-2002, 09:40 PM

Just a little correction. BPU = Basic Performance Upgrades. An upgraded turbo isn't "basic", instead that would make it APU (Advanced Performance Upgrades).
Old 05-14-2002, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Pouya
Just a little correction. BPU = Basic Performance Upgrades. An upgraded turbo isn't "basic", instead that would make it APU (Advanced Performance Upgrades).
My car must be a BPU then.

VTECnology-
If your friend is running a aftermarket turbo, he should be hitting mids to high 12's easy with traps over 103mph+. Assumming he also has a Unichip.
4th gear in the WRX is overdrive gear which suck azz.
Swap it with a closer ratio STI gearing and we're talking quick.
Old 05-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Former Moderator

Ya I wrote BPU in the title before I remembered he had the upgraded turbo and unichip. He hasn't run it hard at the track yet. No drag launches for fear of driveline problems. He has trapped at 103 I believe. I figure this puts him at least 13 flat maybe a little better. Bottom line is I didn't expect do even be as fast as he was much less pull a little.

I wanna a WRX too.