S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Me Vs. Bright Yellow Boxter S

Old 11-09-2001, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was on kbb.com
picked porsche, 2002 BS, then build this car.
add tiptronic, aerokit and carbon package and you're already at 68K...
final price
$92,345.00
and S2Ken since you appear to like to argue everything, here's a screen shot so you don't have to go click all those little check boxes yourself.
I have to say the array of options is staggering!.

if you have trouble reading it, click on the photo then tell it full size.

-V
Old 11-09-2001, 06:01 PM

I agree that the list of options is staggering, but some of those options wouldn't go together, for example the carbon package you chose and then the other interior package, you wouldn't dress the parking brake handles, etc. twice. I'll have to check the tool to see if it lets you choose combinations that Porsche wouldn't actually let you choose. Items like the Aero package that are $7K very few people order from the factory, most go for some other package that is much less and maybe better looking depending on your opinion, but yes if you bought some of that stuff from Porsche you could really run up the price tag.

Porsche will also paint your Boxster S ANY factory color from ANY car manufacturer, so if you wanted a Spa Yellow Boxster S, you could do it, for a price of course. That's one of the things that is cool about Porsche.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:03 AM

IMO.. in recent years.. porsches have become MUCH more of a
rich man's toy than a budget-minded enthusiast..
It's just really bad value... in term of performance, that is...

Take ANY porsche.. for the same amount of money.. there's a
car (comparing all stock) from another manufacturer that will
simply blow it's ass away... (well, probably except the 966tt
though 360 comes very close with a bit more cost)...
Old 11-10-2001, 07:59 AM

I think the point which s2ken has been pointed out by me and many others numerous times is that the boxster s is a bad value as a car purchase. We have argued this to death so i wont bother listing out specs but s2000 wins some and visa versa. They are very close and both are well built perf cars. The diff for 2002 is one 32,740 (now with a glass window) and the other is is anywhere from 60,000 to 70,000. I mean really an aero package for 7,000. i find it insulting the prices for those options by porsche. They should be embaressed charging that anyone who pays those ridicuouls prices for those options should be arrested for fiscal ineptitude. These must be the same people who buy toilet seats for the gov't for 1400 a piece. Honestly you can equip the car without the bs options and get away for 62,000 but still twice the s2000. sorry but the boxster is not twice the car. i speak from a person who could not afford the boxster even if i wanted it Though we all have cars we love that are rip offs. Hell if i had s2kens money I would skip the kraut car and go right to the most perfectly balanced and well built perf car i have ever driven AN NSX
Anyway to each his. If you got the money why not spend.. You cant take it with you. Though I hear s2ken is working on a solution for that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2001, 08:40 AM

I don't think I ever said that the Porsche Boxster was a "value" car. Heck, take a Dodge Neon and toss Nitrous on it and you'll smoke most cars on the road. I wouldn't pretend to say it is a "value" any more than the S2000 is a "value" when compared to say a Toyota MR2 Spyder. But, as Mr. Laporta said, you can't take it with you, that is until you try my new sub-space fiscal relay station that I'm about to bring online.

Is 7K for an aero kit overpriced? Absolutely, but even aero kits from Sard, Blitz, Varis and others for the MR2 Spyder run in the 3-5K range unpainted, so while overpriced it isn't like they are 10 times more expensive.

All I can say is that there must be a market for Porsches since they sell a lot of cars and are a profitable company.

That reminds me I need to change my signature picture...