S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

1,000 miles, 5 days

Old 11-18-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1,000 miles, 5 days

My wife had to go to a one day conference in Stockton and asked if I wanted to, heck yes I do. Went to Stockton for one day and 3 days in Yosemite.

1. Day before we leave on the trip, I notice my dashboard clock is off by 2 1/2 hours, been dead accurate for 7 months now and its off by 2 1/2 hours overnight...hmmm...

2. Uneventful drive up, all good, get to hotel and not in the nicest part of town and I have to park the car off in the far end of the parking lot, slightly concerned. Next morning, wife goes downstairs to her conference and I go play around the wonderful town of Stockton. Thankfully, conference is over early and we leave town quickly.

3. Have a WONDERFUL drive to Yosemite, what a great drive, once we got near Yosemite there was no traffic and lots of well maintained curves held together by short straight sections of road and no traffic...what a drive!

4. Get to our Yosemite hotel and people are looking at us funny for driving in the cold with the top down, but what a great way to drive through Yosemite, most of Yosemite is above your car and if you have the top up, you are missing most of the view.

5. I notice a squeak in the front-end, its really bad at around 10-15MPH, I assume it is a suspension issue but I can't reproduce it by (carefully) bouncing the car up and down, its pretty bad however.

6. Another day driving with NO traffic all over Yosemite, again with wonderful curves attached by short sections of straight road, what a great day, yeah ok we did some hiking also.

7. Time to go home, 38degrees in the morning, we bundle up nice and warm for our last drive through Yosemite and head home via all the possible back roads we can find.

8. Another problem shows up, 2 times on the way home the radio turns on, just cruising on the road enjoying the drive and the dammed radio comes on.

9. 985miles and we are in our driveway, I comment we are 15 miles short of a 1,000, wifes says that won't do, lets go to Ventura for dinner

10. What a awesome car this is, it is supremely comfortable for long trips and just loves to eat up the miles even if they are straight but it sure prefers the curved miles.

I wonder if my radio coming on 2 times without being touched is part of a electrical short that is also the reason for the clock being off 6 days earlier ?

The squeak is NOT from the motor, I can shut off the motor and coast at 10MPH and still hear it but ONLY after a few miles, so what ever it is has to be warm/hot, I can't reproduce it by bouncing the car up and down, its a 2007 with now 7,000 miles on it, so I will take it to the stealership but I first feel I need to be able to identify the noise accurately or they will just trial-and-error it.

I sure wish it had a bigger gas tank, Yosemite has no gas stations and I filled up at a very expensive gas station ($4.89/gal) when I was half full just to be on the safe side because we were playing with VTEC A LOT.

1,000 miles top down and loved it, saw 38 degrees all the way up to 86. Ready to do it again.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use to live close to Yosemite when I was back in Cali... Wish I had my S back then, would have been awesome going around Yosemite in a S.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you had a lot of fun! definitely get that electrical stuff checked out, its a bit odd.. since its an 07, the dealership should be able to take care of it for you. you can also try to have them diagnose the strange squeaking noise as well.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:07 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip. Any pictures?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FOUR DOLLARS AND EIGHTY-NINE CENTS?!!!

HOLY SCHNOGGIES!

Sounds like a nice trip otherwise!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 PM

Yeah, lots of pictures, they are still in the camera and I will upload a few later tonight. Stealership says he has no idea how to identify a occasional electrical issue but they are willing to try or wait until it happens more often then bring the car in, not sure what I will do.

Could not reproduce the squeak for them but after 20 minutes on the freeway it was pretty bad again, so its something that gets warm and binds up and I will take it for a long drive before going to the dealer again on Wednesday.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Have all of the spring spacers been removed?