S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

5-point racing harness?

Old 10-17-2000, 07:18 PM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone installed one yet?

Any brand preferences?
Old 10-17-2000, 09:07 PM
j2k

I've got a Simpson lap belt in my car and it really does the trick.

I got the "bolt-in" style and mounted it to the stock seat belt attachment points. You'll probably want to get some longer hardware than stock, as I did. Note that the seat-belt bolts are NOT metric. (Probably the only non-metric bolts in the entire car).

I also have the shoulder belts, but rarely use them as they would not technically be "SCCA legal" without an "SCCA legal" roll bar, which the stock ones are not. Most of the racing I do is with the SCCA.

For the shoulder belts, I have the "wrap around" style mounting that I simply loop around the roll hoops. When I have used them, the setup seems to work well.

** Disclaimer ON **
Note that I always use the stock seat belts, even when using the complete 4-point belt, as I rely on them to be simply a drivers aid, not a safety device... and you should check with whatever sanctioning organization you run with to make sure what you're doing is approved under their rules.
** Disclaimer OFF **

I've got pics of how I mounted everything if you need more info...

cheers,
jason
Old 10-18-2000, 02:40 PM
pfb

Can you post or email some pictures? What did you do for the anti-submarine belt? Latch?
Old 10-18-2000, 02:54 PM
j2k

here's a pic of how I mounted the right side belt. Note the non-stock hardward and the sort-of bad angle the attachment hardware makes with the belt. This was sort of un-avoidable, but again... as I only use this as a drivers aid, not a saftety device, I'm not overly concerned.

here's the left half of the belt. Notice that the Simpson label is on the "inside". You'll have to flip the mounting hardware relative to the belt as I did here for the angle on the mounting bracket to be correct.

and finally... the finished product. If you're only planning on using the lap-belt, I might consider going with the standard latch mechanism instead of the "cam-lock" style that I've got. Without the shoulder belts attached to the buckle, the release lever tends to poke you a bit. If I had to do it all over again, I would have used the standard latch, or found another brand with a smaller quick-release mechanism.

cheers.

-jason

[This message has been edited by j2k (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old 10-18-2000, 02:56 PM
j2k

whoops.. forgot the last photo.

also. I dont use a sub-marine belt because, again, I dont use this as a safety device, and the submarine straps dont really do much to help you drive. Also, I'm not sure where you'd attach it... you'd probably have to drill some holes. Plus, I dont think it would work to well with the stock seat. They're much better suited to race seats with the proper cutout in the seat bottom.
Old 10-18-2000, 03:35 PM
pfb

Thanks...

I've read a few complaints about the latch on the simpson cam-lock system poking out.

Any photos of the shoulder harnesses?
Old 10-18-2000, 05:01 PM
j2k

this is the only pic I could find of my car with the shoulder belts on... it's not exactly clear, but I think you can just make out that the belts are simply wraped around the roll hoop.

[This message has been edited by j2k (edited October 18, 2000).]
Old 10-18-2000, 05:06 PM

Conceivably the side that is connected to the seat could pull the seat out the rails. A true belt must be with a bolt thru the floor with a 1/4" 4-6" square steel plate on the opposite side of the floor.
Old 10-18-2000, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by S2000 Owner:
. A true belt must be with a bolt thru the floor with a 1/4" 4-6" square steel plate on the opposite side of the floor.

Humm.. right out of the SCCA competition manual?

The Hyper-rev catalog has a couple rollbars that have shoulder belt provisions. If only I could read the description I could tell if they interfere with the top. I'm thinking about one just so i can have a good harness in the car.
Old 10-18-2000, 07:24 PM
pfb

I think drilling the tunnel for the inboard lap mount would be fairly easy... Ideally I could add an eyebolt on the new inboard hole, replace the stock outboard seat belt bold with a second eyebolt, then loop the shoulder harnesses as suggested. I'm also going to look at tying the shoulder harness with a bolt-in mount to the roll loop mouting structure, under the plastic trim.

I'd like it all to be easily removable (except for the eye-bolts) so it's not so obvious the car has seen track duty when it goes in to the dealer for possible warranty work.

Looking at TRW/Sparco/Sabelt (all appear to be the same harnesses with different labeling?) as an alternative to the Simpson because of the poor design of the Simpson cam latch. Slightly more expensive.

What about G-Force stuff? Any good?