S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

With all the s2k owners with 4.57/4.44/4.77 gears

Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default With all the s2k owners with 4.57/4.44/4.77 gears

You've seen the infamous Wisconsin videos that show the buslengths s2k's with aftermarket gears pull on otherwise stock s2k's. You've read all the numerous amount of reviews from other members that glorify aftermarket gears. You've heard the rumors that aggressive gears will shave the 1/4 mile time by at least half a second. And, you've read the kill stories.

So why haven't there been any kind of legitimate 1/4 mile time postings with this mod? I don't understand it.

The only e.t.'s I've seen from aftermarket-geared s2k's remain in the high 13/low 14 range, which is basically what stock s2k's run anyway. Now people are apparently complaining that gears won't lower the 1/4 time at all due to the extra shift, so if you really think about it, is it worth it in the end?

I mean, the widely-accepted methodology in judging a car's straightline performance are 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, correct? So what's the point if you can reach 60 mph a little quicker, but end up reaching the finishing line at the same time with a stock s2k (if not slower)?

I just don't see all the hype with aftermarket gears.

If someone has confirmed that they were able to drop from a stock 13.9 1/4 time to a 13.4-13.5 consistently with gears, then by all means I'd definitely go for this product. But as of now, I haven't seen anything remotely close to a solid, mid 13 second run (or any kind of improvement for the matter), so until then I don't see why anyone would want to blow their money on this product.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't see any 1/4mile times because for the most part the s2k is not a 1/4 machine (sure it can be but thats beside the point). The average person who gets gears most likly is not a drag racer. I have gears in my car but I'm not the 1/4 mile type person.

I personally don't think any of the gears are as slow as stock in the 1/4 despite what people say. I feel the 4.57s are probably the fastest because we do not need to shift into 5th gear like the 77s. The 77s are only 3% faster then the 57s so that extra shift can make the difference.

If your getting low 14s with gears you just suck at the 1/4 which is probably what the majority of people are. Figure a stock s2k can hit high 13's (I've seen it first hand)...a geared s2k should hit mid 13's probably.

It might be more fair to compare the before and after of someone in the 1/4. You can't compare other peoples times because some people are just not good at the 1/4

All the hype is that no matter how you look at it, a geared s2k is always faster then a stock one unless your going top speed...and where does that happen aside from the autobahn. Just because there is no 1/4 time for them is not a reason not to buy them. In fact, it sounds like a ricer reason why not to buy them. You know they're faster but just because there is no 1/4 mile they must be slow?

1/4 mile sucks anyway, go to a real track that requires more skill then just a launch
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. New gears give a mechanical advantage in 1st gear only, then the extra shifts will even the playing field with a stock car. As a perfect example, the gear changes AND bigger engine in the AP2 didn't make it appreciably faster. People just want a 'quick fix' to make (at least in their head) their car faster. Unfortunately, more power and less weight are the only solutions.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you take magazine times or times from people who were able to get close to magazine times, you are dealing with several issues. One is that both types of times were a result of "launching the crap" out of the car.
1. Not many people are willing to do this and even fewer people know how to do this correctly.
2. Those who got these sorts of times, never did the gears and went back to compare.
3. Those who run the 1/4 mile with gears, never did it before the gears.
Seeing what kinds of times people get with gears is irrelevent if we don't what they did without gears.

Another consideration is that those who reported times for their gears in a 1/4 miles never actually did a run before they got the gears. We don't know if they improved on their times. Maybe their previous times would have been really awful. Who can really say what the case may be? Technically, gears will give an advantage that an extra shift won't nullify, but that's assuming the same driver. Who's to say if that same driver shifts so slowly that he needed gears just to look good? And his "non-geared" times were simply too embarassing to tell about.
I'm just speculating here, but these are worth considering.
The final outcome is, doing the gears is a personal thing. If you don't see the proof you need, don't do it. Most owners of gears will attest to a much better driveability and low end grunt. What happens in a 1/4 miles has too many variables to deal with.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, another gear thread. I can't wait for the few that'll pop up later today
Old 09-28-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by aggie,Sep 28 2006, 09:17 AM
I agree. New gears give a mechanical advantage in 1st gear only, then the extra shifts will even the playing field with a stock car. As a perfect example, the gear changes AND bigger engine in the AP2 didn't make it appreciably faster. People just want a 'quick fix' to make (at least in their head) their car faster. Unfortunately, more power and less weight are the only solutions.
Then explain why in any gear that I'm in, if I'm at lets say 2k rpms and go to 9k rpms it is faster with the shorter gears....hmm, maybe because the mechanical advantage applies to all gears.

Even thinking it only applies to 1st gear is obserd. All the power will go through the differential so it doesn't matter what gear your in.

Your example is void btw. The AP2 has a lower redline, a little more power, and the TRANNY gears changed...not the differential gear ratio. Getting new gears in that car will indeed make it faster. Your mixing your gears up now.

I think you need to do some more research before saying our faster s2ks, are all "in our head"
Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I posted this a few months ago...

I went drag racing a few months ago for my first time. Since then my tires have gone from basically new to getting close to the wear bars. Other than that the only change was the installation of 4.44 gears, 94 pounds of weight savings and whatever learning curve may be established between your 1st and 2nd drag racing experiences.

1st time at track: stock gears, more thread on tires (times in order)
15.7 @ 92.7, 2.30
15.0 @ 94.8, 2.25
14.7 @ 96.3, 2.31
14.4 @ 96.5, 2.24
14.6 @ 96.5, 2.19
14.3 @ 97.7, 2.37

2nd time at track: 4.44 gears, 94 pounds lighter (times in order)
14.2 @ 97.4, 2.26
14.3 @ 97.9, 2.22
14.1 @ 97.2, 2.25
14.3 @ 96.7, 2.19 (slight bog, down to 5000rpm)
15.1 @ 94.4, 2.26 (bogged bad)
Of course I'll be flamed for sharing this information, like I was last time, but it's safe to say that I was disappointed with the performance of the gears. My suggestion, if you're going to get gears, go for 4.57's or shorter.

Link to old thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=412428&st=0
Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by scottrunsxc,Sep 28 2006, 01:37 PM
I posted this a few months ago...

Of course I'll be flamed for sharing this information, like I was last time, but it's safe to say that I was disappointed with the performance of the gears. My suggestion, if you're going to get gears, go for 4.57's or shorter.
Yeah the 44s are only 8% difference between stock, not TOO much of a difference.

But just by looking at the times, you can see that its almost impossible to compare times because there are so many factors that go into getting a 1/4 time. Its pretty much pointless to compare with 1/4 times.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best way to test performance gains from a change in final drive ratio is a 3rd gear running pull. Get a buddy to drive with you before and after the gear change and time a pull from 30mph to 80 mph. You'll see the advantage of gearing changes in the real world that way. This is also a way to see the advantages of the ap2 motor/trans changes as far as acceleration is concerned.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=scottrunsxc,Sep 28 2006, 12:37 PM] Of course I'll be flamed for sharing this information, like I was last time, but it's safe to say that I was disappointed with the performance of the gears.

Quick Reply: With all the s2k owners with 4.57/4.44/4.77 gears