S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Austin Area Seatbelt and Gear Grind Service Experience

Old 11-06-2000, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are an Austin area owner having trouble making your dealership service department act in a reasonable manner regarding warranty repairs, read my post and perhaps you can "piggyback" off the negotiating I have done. Specifically, I would suggest you speak with Trudy at First Texas Honda and I have no problem with you mentioning my name, Adrian Madland, when you inquire about servicing your S2k.

I have my appt. set for Thursday 11/9 to drop my car off at First Texas Honda to get both repairs done.

I spent quite a bit of time talking with the Honda zone office and Trudy at First Texas to make sure this was set up to my liking... I am getting the gear grind, clutch, rear window, and seatbelt fixed (if all goes well).

The particulars:

1. They will fix the 1-2 gear grind WITHOUT test driving the car. I refused to let them attempt to replicate the problem, as it is intermittent and they could drive 500 miles without it happening.

2. I complained about the clutch slipping and asked for them to install the updated clutch part (Honda's replacement part is not identical, it is an improved clutch and pressure plate). It looks like I'm going to have to take them out to show them this problem... I don't think I'm going to be able to replicate this problem, so I'm hoping that when they have the transmission off they will be able to see how badly the clutch plate is ripped up for 7,000 miles.

3. My rear window is severely scratched. Upon my complaint to the zone office, the dealership will attempt to repair this with cleaning materials (which I know won't work since I already use Plexus). If they cannot clean it, they will replace the window.

4. It looks like I'm going to be the guinea pig for seatbelt recall repairs at First Texas. I'd really like to wait until someone else has this done, but I guess someone needs to be the one the tech learns on... Needless to say I'll be examining the internal parts very closely to make sure they don't mar anything and try to hide it.

[This message has been edited by Dented S2K (edited November 06, 2000).]
Old 11-06-2000, 07:27 PM

Thanks for doing the pioneering work. I talked to one of their techs who works on S2K's there a few months ago -- he really likes it and acted like he gave it special attention, so I think you'll be ok. Hope that you can get the clutch fixed, too...it seems silly to go in there and not upgrade it. I probably won't be able to get mine in until after the first of the year. Please let us know how it comes out.
Old 11-07-2000, 03:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with the repairs Dented.

Regardin #3, Plexus will not clean a badly scratched/fogged window. It is great for maintenance and weekly touch-ups. For heavy duty repair, you will need to a scratch removal product like Meguirs #17 or Pro Honda Metal Polish (for Gold Wing plastic windshields). 3M has a good product too. I was very impressed with the ability that Meguirs #17 has at restoring a poor-looking rear window. Consider the benefits of leaving the existing window intact rather than having a new one stiched in.
Old 11-07-2000, 04:42 AM

Thanks Dented, We present and potential Austin area S2K owners appreciate your efforts. Maybe you should mention this board to the mechanics. They might learn something from reading the posts. I know I've learned alot.
Old 11-07-2000, 04:50 AM

Check the planning room. Austin get together is scheduled for the 17th.
Old 11-08-2000, 11:42 AM

Any updates!