S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying a S2000 from a smoker

Old 09-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I never even thought of this as a issue. When I bought my car I didn't even ask if the owner was a smoker. I guess he wasent since I don't notice anything strange with the smell
Im a non smoker
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only time i light up a smoke in my car is with the top down lol
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Def a deal breaker for me, but again I'm probably the most sensitive person in the world to that smell. I can smell smoke from a mile away. And all the people thinking it doesn't absorb into the materials, the S is not made out of some special fabric, just metal, plastic, and leather like every other car, it does absorb the smoke, and yellows the plastics irreparably, like said above if you can't smell it then you're probably just used to the smell. When I bought my civic (8 yrs ago)it had a slight mildew smell from when water got in the trunk once, I cleaned it up and even replaced the carpet, and I didn't notice the smell after 2 weeks, to this day I still get people asking me if my car had water in it!
I would keep looking for other options, there are plenty of cars looking for good homes out there.

Just some thoughts..
Old 09-14-2012, 04:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reelsaint1
Some detail shops say they can get rid of the smell while others say it will always be there. Does anyone have experience with this. I wouldn't sleep in a hotel room that smells like smoke so why would I accept a car that smells like smoke.Does anyone have an opinion or a solution.
I wouldn't assume that you can get rid of it. It really depends on where the smell is trapped.

Originally Posted by Reelsaint1
Also how much does this devalue the car.
Depends on the potential buyers. Look at your own concerns about this car.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 AM

If you clean a smokers car the right way you'll never know.

When i was working at Toyota we would get cars in on trade all the that were HEAVILY smoked in! im talking ash and buts all over the place. Id do the inspection order what ever parts it needed and the send it to the detail shop. When i got the cars back you would never know that the cars were ever smoked in unless it had burns.

so burn marks i don't see a problem.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The OP never mentioned how bad the aroma is in the car. Can you tolerate it? Can you tolerate some elbow grease to reduce it? If so, knock an extra grand from your offer because the car smells like smoke. Take the money saved and buy a tree air freshener
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 AM

Ive also heard about the Vinegar in a bowl overnight thing. Dont know if its true, but the reasoning behind it is, that vinegar is an acid and most smells are basic, therefore the base is attracted to the acid, and the acid soaks in the base ( Smells).
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM

Baking soda and possibly get one of those machines to steam everything (including the vents) and maybe you can get rid of most of the smell, more so if it's feint.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:14 AM

I recently bought a car that had been heavily smoked in. It was VERY bad. But I spent a lot of time cleaning it and now the odor is essentially gone. I'd highly recommend getting a cheap portable steam cleaner. For a serious smoker's car, just wiping down the interior with cleaner won't eliminate the smell.

Pull off interior panels and steam clean them thoroughly. Steam the carpets. Steam the vents. Steam EVERYTHING. I can't emphasize this enough. I didn't realize the interior of my car was badly stained until I started steam cleaning and this yellow/brown gunk oozed out of the panels and headliner. SO GROSS. Luckily my car had a vinyl headliner so it was possible to thoroughly clean it. Otherwise, I would have had to get a new one, it was that bad. Unfortunately the soft top of a smoked-in s2k will probably have lots of trapped-in odor. Cleaning it will be a pain.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mazelmazelgoodthings
Im a smoker. I just never smoke in the s2k. Ill pull over and have a cigarette (I know it sounds kind of stupid,) but no smoke has seen the interior of my s2k. And when I do pull over to have a smoke, the rest of the trip must be top down from the smell in my clothes on my fingers and what not.
Do yourself a favor ...stop smoking , many more miles of smiles and gas will seem cheap when get smart and stop that nasty habit ...if u think it hurts your cars insides , what do u think its doing to yours

Quick Reply: buying a S2000 from a smoker