S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying a S2000 from a smoker

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 AM

Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
At least farts don't give you cancer and heart disease, age your skin, shorten your life, foul your breath, stink up your skin, hair and clothes. Geeze, the science has been around for years? What's not to understand?
But it makes you cool.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find the car you want, buy it, clean it up and forget about it.
Here's a stratagy- Inform the owner/smoker that the car will have to be professionally detailed on the inside to remove all traces of smoke and that is going to cost several hundred dollars. Get your discount, take the car home and clean it up yourself. Nothing but wins here.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt buy a smokers car if I were you. Ive never smoked, but everyone in my family has and a couple still do. I can smell it from a mile away! Smokers dont seem to be able to smell themselves or the smoke. I cant stand it, but thats just me.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I never bought a car from a smoker, but the previous owners of my house where smokers. I steam cleaned the wall paper off of everywhere when I first moved in and the brown gunk on the plaster walls took a triple wash with TSP. After I washed the entire house, I had no problems with residual smell. I wouldn't even let my ex-mother-in-law smoke inside when she came to visit. She met her early death due to heavy smoking. I didn't like visiting her at her house because her place stank of cigarette smoke.

Hotel rooms charge an arm and a leg if a smoker smokes in a non-smoking room. It CAN be cleaned up and deodorized, but it's a lot of work. The human lung will do its best to recover, if a person stops smoking.
TSP I had a renter smoking in an apartment, fortunately confined to the bedroom. I had to 3x scrub all the walls, doors, trim, and windows to get the tar off all surfaces before the smell was 95% gone.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a former smoker as well. Smokers are desensitized to the aroma. Same concept as not being able to smell your own cologne (or farts, efharisto Thanasis) 5 minutes after spraying it on. Except in smokers it's worse because you nose and mouth is also coated with a layer of tar.

Anybody ever watch Mad Men? It's funny to watch a time period when smoking was socially accepted in all facets of life. Then you step outside and realize times have changed, but the real change was only in the past 5 - 10 years. The non-smoking and health advocates finally got their way against the tobacco industry to support healthy living for those that choose not to poison themselves.

I'm certainly for the individual's right to choose to smoke, it's your body, do what you want with it. However, I can't stand the smoker's pity party. It is not your right to smoke wherever you want and around those that choose to be smoke free. Finally, back on topic, if you have chosen to smoke inside your car , then you have chosen to devalue your car beyond an equivalent smoke free car.

/rant
Old 09-20-2012, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the original poster and I passed on the smokers car.i bought a non smokers car with more miles and for more money. People who smoke don't realize that you can never get rid of the smell 100 % . My best friend smokes and only smokes in his car with the windows down holding the cig out the window . He also keeps his car spotless at all times but the car always has that funk. I bought a car from a smoker years ago that didn't smell to bad untill it rained and the humidity would pull the smoke back out like it was just smoked in yesterday. For my hard earned money I will pay more for a fresh car. Thanks everyone your replys.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wonder if they dont take care of themselves, how well was the car taken care of.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Reelsaint1
I'm the original poster and I passed on the smokers car.i bought a non smokers car with more miles and for more money. People who smoke don't realize that you can never get rid of the smell 100 % . My best friend smokes and only smokes in his car with the windows down holding the cig out the window . He also keeps his car spotless at all times but the car always has that funk. I bought a car from a smoker years ago that didn't smell to bad untill it rained and the humidity would pull the smoke back out like it was just smoked in yesterday. For my hard earned money I will pay more for a fresh car. Thanks everyone your replys.

Cool that you found a good S!