S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying an S2k

Old 09-27-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying an S2k

I always thought that having the money/making sure you can afford to buy a car would be the hardest part of car buying?

However, trying to find an S2k in my area is proving pretty tough - I just can't seem to find one that matches my criteria Anyone else experience this? Or am I just too picky?
Old 09-27-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what your criteria is!
Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM

<60k miles, not red/yellow/Suzuka, not tracked/raced, no red interior, no accidents, 2-3 owners, not completely molested. Is that too much??
Old 09-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
However, trying to find an S2k in my area is proving pretty tough - I just can't seem to find one that matches my criteria Anyone else experience this? Or am I just too picky?
Are you specific on exterior color and/or year? I was. I wanted an '06/'07 Laguna Blue and I found one 60 miles west of me high up in the mountains.

Two bits of advice:

1. Get good at AutoTrader car searches, put in the exact specs you want and search the whole country for the car. Here's the exact search I used for my car: AutoTrader 2006-2007 Blue Honda S2000

2. Go as far as necessary to get the exact car you want. If you need to get a car inspected far away, post up on the forums and see if a local will look at it for you. If it checks out, fly there, buy the car and drive it home. An extra $500-1000 is nothing compared to getting exactly what you want. They aren't making any new ones...
Old 09-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Gotta be patient, or more flexible. or be willing to go out of state.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy-buffett
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1411873000' post='23347873
Are you specific on exterior color and/or year? I was. I wanted an '06/'07 Laguna Blue and I found one 60 miles west of me high up in the mountains.

Two bits of advice:

1. Get good at AutoTrader car searches, put in the exact specs you want and search the whole country for the car. Here's the exact search I used for my car: AutoTrader 2006-2007 Blue Honda S2000

2. Go as far as necessary to get the exact car you want. If you need to get a car inspected far away, post up on the forums and see if a local will look at it for you. If it checks out, fly there, buy the car and drive it home. An extra $500-1000 is nothing compared to getting exactly what you want. They aren't making any new ones...
Yep, I'm searching Craigslist, Autotrader, and Cars.com everyday to see if there are any new listings. I'm less picky on exterior color, I just cannot do the Suzuka/Red interiors at all

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Gotta be patient, or more flexible. or be willing to go out of state.
I guess I should try more flexible. The out of state is tough with my schedule unless it's on a weekend!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you being reasonable with what you are willing to spend? If you cannot travel, you will need patience, but nice ones always seem to come up.

(btw, the 2006 Suzuka does not have the smurf interior!)
Old 09-28-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
Are you being reasonable with what you are willing to spend? If you cannot travel, you will need patience, but nice ones always seem to come up.

(btw, the 2006 Suzuka does not have the smurf interior!)
On a clean one with no accidents and 2-3 owners, I'm willing to spend up to $20k on condition. I saw one locally a couple of days ago: AP2 lip was cracked in two places, interior carpet needed a lot of love, the wheels needed some polishing and buffing, dings here and there. Guy was asking $20 and I said $19 - he hasn't responded to my email or text I don't think that's a low ball in any way? Oh well

But I didn't know about he MY06 Suzuka not being blue inside, I'll definitely keep that in mind then!
Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 AM

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't think you're being picky or unreasonable. There is only a short supply of s2000's and even less so for one in decent condition. However as others have said, be patient, be willing to travel, but when you find one in good condition/desirable color/for a good price... jump on it as they sell pretty fast.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:40 AM

It can be hard to find a good one.Glad I got mine new.....and don't plan to sell.

\rlr
Carolina

Quick Reply: Buying an S2k