S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying an S2k

Old 10-29-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm still looking for my hat "behind the driver's seat in the pouch for the soft top!" Pouch?

My only experience, other than a couple of short drives in an AP1 is with my "new to me" '06 fly by wire car. Seems responsive enough considering electrons move faster than cable stretch. I've not yet found "horror" stories regarding broken VSA and unless I really push my car in tight intersections the light never flashes -- don't feel it, just notice the light flashes in my peripheral vision.

A member here on the other side of my town with a "new him" AP1 put his in the cattails when he spun it last month. I like to think VSA would have prevented it.

-- Chuck
You know where the top rests when you put it down? It's like a little cubby behind the seats. Well, when my top was up, I saw the hat squished at the bottom of that cubby... it's hard to explain I guess.

I haven't felt disconnected from the car - I bet I would have felt more connected with a throttle cable but I wanted VSA's security watching over me.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:21 AM

Received 1,142 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Got it! No hat in mine!

My priority list when searching for a S2000 included "2006 or later" for the VSA. I think the daylight running lights are on these as well.

-- Chuck
Old 10-30-2014, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Got it! No hat in mine!

My priority list when searching for a S2000 included "2006 or later" for the VSA. I think the daylight running lights are on these as well.

-- Chuck
They are indeed - I was thinking of pulling the fuses to just use the HID projectors when the sun goes down...
Old 10-31-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
I haven't felt disconnected from the car - I bet I would have felt more connected with a throttle cable but I wanted VSA's security watching over me.
I think the "connected" part regarding the cable vs. drive-by-wire is urban myth, created by the younger butt-dyno crowd that questions the existence of your testicles if your car only revs to 8200 RPM .

I've driven my aunts (my 75 year old aunt, btw) AP1 numerous times. Responsiveness seems about the same. Give me an AP2 anytime, but I'm old , so what do I know?
Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

How's the search going?

When I was selling my S, a few people asked if it was tracked. When I stated "yes" I never heard from them again. As the 2nd owner of the car I cannot say how it was serviced prior to me, though it was regularly serviced at the dealership. My track days results in more frequent care, inspection and service then most owners would ever do.

Bought it with 59k and sold it 100k+ (forget exact miles) and the car was mint. I mean aside from the front bumper having some stone chips. Roof, interior, motor all far better then cars with half it's miles.

The kid who got it lucked into a great buy. Had I put 30k on the OD you would have believed it.

Just some food for thought on your no track days. General owners don't do as much work. My DD doesn't get the same care.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1414629716' post='23387553
I think the "connected" part regarding the cable vs. drive-by-wire is urban myth, created by the younger butt-dyno crowd that questions the existence of your testicles if your car only revs to 8200 RPM .

I've driven my aunts (my 75 year old aunt, btw) AP1 numerous times. Responsiveness seems about the same. Give me an AP2 anytime, but I'm old , so what do I know?
I only mentioned it because everyone drilled the "cable throttle is better" theory in my head so I just sort of settled with it. I haven't felt any hesitation or lapse of synapse with my 06's throttle so far so I don't really know either

Originally Posted by rob-2
How's the search going?

When I was selling my S, a few people asked if it was tracked. When I stated "yes" I never heard from them again. As the 2nd owner of the car I cannot say how it was serviced prior to me, though it was regularly serviced at the dealership. My track days results in more frequent care, inspection and service then most owners would ever do.

Bought it with 59k and sold it 100k+ (forget exact miles) and the car was mint. I mean aside from the front bumper having some stone chips. Roof, interior, motor all far better then cars with half it's miles.

The kid who got it lucked into a great buy. Had I put 30k on the OD you would have believed it.

Just some food for thought on your no track days. General owners don't do as much work. My DD doesn't get the same care.
The search has been concluded - go to page 3 for plenty of pics and then take a look at my real JDM build thread; I'm treating my car right
Old 11-01-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The S2000 drive by wire system is very good, I never noticed any significant lag when I had an AP2. But I've owned a Mitsubishi SUV that had a lot of throttle delay. In many cases the DBW lag is not a myth.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

My '76 Rabbit broke its throttle cable once.

You guys are missing out on some potential fun
Old 11-05-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
I only mentioned it because everyone drilled the "cable throttle is better" theory in my head so I just sort of settled with it. I haven't felt any hesitation or lapse of synapse with my 06's throttle so far so I don't really know either

The search has been concluded - go to page 3 for plenty of pics and then take a look at my real JDM build thread; I'm treating my car right
The 06 I had, had a weird dip very low in the RPM range and I have heard others mention it as well. While I don't know if this is the product of DBW throttle I do know that my other two S2000 have had nothing similar. Very strange feeling of the throttle just completely letting off for a split second when getting started and then coming back and being completely normal otherwise. The car ran very strong so I really couldn't figure it out. I have heard other 06+ owners mention it but with no clear consensus on the cause/solution. I just learned to adjust my driving style to avoid it.