S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying an S2k

Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ohnothimagen
Fast forward. Car payment has been gone for a year now, daughter is now in vet school, but the bills are mostly all hers. My daily is getting on in years and miles so now the search begins again. I too am finding the same price issues. Lower mileage cars with 2-3 owners within 200 miles are easily $20k+. I've found two exceptions, both 2007 and on the surface seem interesting. One has had FIVE owners, both lease and personal, and from Florida to Georgia to the Midwest. The other one, two owners and fairly low miles. Priced around $18,5 the car had at some point been stolen. My guess that blemish on its past is keeping the buyers at bay.
That's exactly my issue as of late. I can find nice AP2s but either one was 5 owners, heavy oil residue in the exhaust, accidents, stolen, etc etc. For example, a 2007 GPW popped up on Craigslist. Everything looked great until the owner said it was in an accident...

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
With your criteria, you're looking at another $2000+ and be willing to ship/travel.
Took me a little to realize that - I'm going to up my mileage.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by TeslaChicken
Took me a little to realize that - I'm going to up my mileage.
In my opinion, if you can buy a higher mileage S from a member of these boards that is always wanting to learn how to make the car "right" and keep up with the maintenance religiously... that's worth a LOT more to me than just a low mileage S.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars take mileage really well so long as they have not been abused. I would not worry about getting a <60k mile car.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:53 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

No cars are moneymakers but the S2000 is probably the lowest depreciating sportscar you can buy combined with the lowest maintenance cost.( if they have't been effed with)

I'm a Porsche guy but when I wanted a fun car for retirement the S2000 beat the Boxster hands down for these reasons. I can't tolerate $1000+ surprises like I used to.

IMHO, if you can invest a few $K more upfront on a clean, low mileage car you'll come out ahead in the long run,both in depreciation and overall operating costs.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gerry100
No cars are moneymakers but the S2000 is probably the lowest depreciating sportscar you can buy combined with the lowest maintenance cost.( if they have't been effed with)

I'm a Porsche guy but when I wanted a fun care for retirement the S2000 beat the Boxster hands down for these reasons. I can't tolerate $1000+ surprises like I used to.

IMHO, if you can invest a few $K more upfront on a clean, low mileage car you'll come out ahead in the long run,both in depreciation and overall operating costs.
It's tough finding those clean ones though... I'm eyeing an 06 Berlina with 36k on it. Someone else is interested but the owner said he feels like the person might fall through so I'm happily in line!

Btw, I saw an 06 the other day. LBP with 74k miles on it. The front lip was help on by zipties, sagged so the bumper was all scratched on the lower side, one of the wheels was chipped bad, bunch of rock hits, etc etc. Street corner dealer wanted $20k and they said "Sir, if you expect me to drop $1k, $2k... I'm sorry but we're not here to make a profit, we're here to get the cars off the lot." I laughed so hard and just left
Old 10-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 200 Likes on 104 Posts

Street corner dealer wanted $20k and they said "Sir, if you expect me to drop $1k, $2k... I'm sorry but we're not here to make a profit, we're here to get the cars off the lot."
That doesn't even make sense. If they are not there to make a profit and are only there to get the cars off the lot, then they would be perfectly willing to drop the price to make a sale. And aside from that, of course they are there to make a profit. Every business is looking to make a profit. It's just a question of how much. There would be no point in a business existing if it didn't make a profit. By definition, a business exists to make a profit. Otherwise, it's just somebody's hobby.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by TeslaChicken' timestamp='1412281458' post='23354192
Street corner dealer wanted $20k and they said "Sir, if you expect me to drop $1k, $2k... I'm sorry but we're not here to make a profit, we're here to get the cars off the lot."
That doesn't even make sense. If they are not there to make a profit and are only there to get the cars off the lot, then they would be perfectly willing to drop the price to make a sale. And aside from that, of course they are there to make a profit. Every business is looking to make a profit. It's just a question of how much. There would be no point in a business existing if it didn't make a profit. By definition, a business exists to make a profit. Otherwise, it's just somebody's hobby.
I remember going with my dad when he was looking for a new car. We ended up looking at that tiny little Lexus hybrid hatch and the same thing happened. A few days later, we get a call from Lexus customer service who apologized wholly for the incident - I don't like this trend of dealers thinking they're like Carmax... Don't get me wrong, I fully understand they're there to make a profit, it's just ridiculous that they're being so stubborn about the price? You're a mobile home looking car dealer with maybe 30 cars in your inventory, what do you mean the price on the car is barely negotiable? I mean what, they picked that car up at an auction for... $13-15k?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take your time with picking your S. Took me 5 months before I found my perfect lady S. I love her more and more every single day.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent a solid 18 months looking. Watching the DFW market. Waiting for the perfect S, and for my situation to be right. It was always one or the other. Everything finally aligned last weekend and I got an 04 BB with 81k. As everyone has said... Patience. This isn't a car that sold hundred of thousands of units where you can pick one up any day of the week. Consider the # made, assume a bunch of those are dead, and another chunk are happily in a relationship. Pickins be slim...

Don't settle for a shitty one! Adjust your expectations, sure, to what is reasonable and realistic. I knew unless I was willing and able to shell out 20+ grand, I wasn't going to get one 100% perfect. (In DFW I've seen two CRs sell for 28ish. That would be the dream...)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:59 AM
Syn

Originally Posted by 2Kaputnik' timestamp='1411916437' post='23348171
Are you being reasonable with what you are willing to spend? If you cannot travel, you will need patience, but nice ones always seem to come up.

(btw, the 2006 Suzuka does not have the smurf interior!)
On a clean one with no accidents and 2-3 owners, I'm willing to spend up to $20k on condition. I saw one locally a couple of days ago: AP2 lip was cracked in two places, interior carpet needed a lot of love, the wheels needed some polishing and buffing, dings here and there. Guy was asking $20 and I said $19 - he hasn't responded to my email or text I don't think that's a low ball in any way? Oh well

But I didn't know about he MY06 Suzuka not being blue inside, I'll definitely keep that in mind then!
I didn't read through every reply so apologies if this was already covered...

The 06 Suzukas actually do have blue on the interior, just not nearly as much as the pre-06 cars. In the pre-06 cars everything is blue (dash, console, roll hoops, door panels, seats, carpet). In the 06 it is only the seats and carpet. The rest is black. As another follow-up, you can purchase fitted seat covers that look like they are OEM--they are branded "Clazzio". I bought some black seat covers since my car's driver seat had some wear on it and now the only blue part of my interior is the carpet. Over the years I've had several people comment that they really liked my interior vs. other Suzuka cars.

Quick Reply: Buying an S2k